Mobile Phone Problem ....
All  1-4  5-13

Previous
Next
3366.5 In reply to 3366.4 
Do you have any other angles like from the side or the back?

Are you sure it actually has a curved base? Maybe it actually has a pretty flat base with a kind of facade around it to make it look curvy-ish.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3366.6 In reply to 3366.5 
I did one, but had to change your model. I recut the top out of the base using an actual "Arc". I dont think you can rotate a non-arc on a non-arc without binding, but I may be wrong. Maybe an engineer can chime in here.

In this model (if you have MoI V2) You can take the rotation widget of the top portion and place it at the center of the arc i used to cut the new face with, and rotate the face out of the base nicely. With this method, you could probably redo your phone to look like you want and do the slide properly. Just make the cut with a true arc and it works.

[EDIT] If I used too much curve for the cut, just make the arc bigger and redo it to get a flatter top portion. [EDIT]

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3366.7 In reply to 3366.6 
Actually I kindof did it with your original file, but mechanically I think it is slightly off. I used one of the curved surfaces of the slider area and projected a line onto it. The I created a circle from 3 points with that projected curve to re-create the arc needed. Here is the file that "looks" like it slides, though I think to be exact, you should do this an keep the original cutting arc in place to use as the center of rotation to have it be proper!

Anyway, maybe this gives a better idea.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3366.8 In reply to 3366.7 
>>>>I can't figure out how to make the slider part have at the same time a curved base and still slide horizontally ... >>>

They dont slide horizontally, they actually are sliding on the arc of the curved base. Which is a very large arc, so appears flat in your hand.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3366.9 In reply to 3366.8 

Visual

EDITED: 5 Mar 2010 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3366.10 In reply to 3366.9 
Yupp, it works :) But what would you do when the base is actually flat but the plastic around it has a curve to it. Probably the widest point of the slider has to determine how wide the top of the phone is ... so they don't intersect
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3366.11 In reply to 3366.10 
I would imagine that in "closed position", the mechanism actually slips "down" a bit (the clcik you would feel when closing it) and then when opening it, the slider mechanism actually jumps "up" a bit (half of the radius value of the fillet on the top pieces underside edge) and then tracks along the slide.

Maybe I dont actually follow what your describing? If you post 2 sample objects configured like this I would love to look with you.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3366.12 In reply to 3366.11 
Well ok I got the slider sliding ...

There seems to be a boolean difference bug ... when I subtract those 3 spacers from the buttons one button will dissapear ...
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3366.13 In reply to 3366.12 
Hi s7r83dg3,

> There seems to be a boolean difference bug ... when I
> subtract those 3 spacers from the buttons one button
> will dissapear ...

It can be normal to get that kind of behavior if the objects that you are trying to boolean are only open surfaces instead of closed solids, like they are in your case here.

Note that when you select this object here, the object type readout displays it as a "Joined srf" and not a "Solid" :

The booleans normally use the different volumes within a solid to determine which pieces to keep and which pieces to discard. If you have open surfaces then there are no volumes and they results will not tend to be as predictable with the booleans.

When working with open surfaces, you'll generally need to use the Edit > Trim function to cut pieces with one another and manually select which fragments you want to discard instead of using the Booleans.

Either that, or if you want to work with the Booleans make sure your objects are finished and closed solids and not just open surfaces.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-13