Mesh - Matching resolution along edges
All  1-10  11-17

Previous
Next
3365.11 In reply to 3365.10 
Hi PaQ, so another thing that I'd need to decide about for UV packing is which things to target to pack together within the same texture rectangle.

The way I was thinking would be to do it at a solid level, like shrinking down the UVs for each surface within a solid so that each surface occupied its own little uv island of the full texture rectangle.

But I guess there are other possible ways to do it like pack everything within the same style to be within one texture rectangle.

Is there one particular UV grouping method that would stand out as being the best thing to target?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3365.12 In reply to 3365.11 
Well again Michael, I look forward to trying out any ideas you may have on the UVs and give feedback on how it works out with my stuff!

JBShorty
"@ Will - use a curve grid to split the objects, then join together before exporting at very low resolution..."

I'm not sure what you mean by curve grid? Do you mean just split my objects at the places where the topo could be better to get a better match between the surfaces?

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3365.13 In reply to 3365.11 
Hi Michael,

Sorry for the little delay, I had to think about it, but I would say your solid based idea probably fit the best 'my' workflow.
Probably because I don't use style at an exteme condition, I often make all my material attribution in an other software.

As far as every uv islands have the same ratio (so no stretching/scale difference between every uv's island).

Still have to think about it a little bit too :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3365.14 In reply to 3365.13 
Hi PaQ,

> As far as every uv islands have the same ratio (so no
> stretching/scale difference between every uv's island).

Stretching won't really be possible to totally eliminate if the surfaces themselves compress or squish.

But in relation to one another the way I was thinking would be to do it by surface area of the 3D polygons.

So for instance the corner patch in a filleted box would get a smaller UV area than a larger sized piece.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3365.15 In reply to 3365.14 
>> But in relation to one another the way I was thinking would be to do it by surface area of the 3D polygons.

So for instance the corner patch in a filleted box would get a smaller UV area than a larger sized piece.

Yes what's I have in mind in fact, distortion can be fixed with a uv unwarp package.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3365.16 In reply to 3365.12 
It's an old workaround used in Rhino to force tesselation where the mesher doesn't find the solution on it's own. So yes, I mean you can try splitting the object then rejoing to make "user-defined" polygonal boundaries...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hi there

T-Splines can sometimes produce the kind of UV continuity you are looking for, but then again that requires Rhino + T-Splines.
T-Splines currently does not use trimmed surfaces, but it places vertex points points into the same plane to give a smooth result.
Think you may find this interesting.

-Fredrik
Image Attachments:
Size: 109.6 KB, Downloaded: 26 times, Dimensions: 333x266px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All