External scripting interface to MoI
 1-20  21-31

Previous
Next
Very impressive-this will be interesting to see where you can take this.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3341.22 In reply to 3341.19 
Dave,

Really interesting! As others have mentioned,
There's enormous potential for your project...

Jesse
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
My first post, so first off, a huge thank you to Michael for MoI! It's the dogs dangly bits! (As they say, where I come from. :-)
----------------------------------------

Dave, Great work - very exciting stuff!

After recently being introduced to Grasshopper for Rhino, I'm very interested in your work too. (Before you ask, I haven't used Grasshopper.)

Grasshopper is described at www.grasshopper3d.com as being, "For designers who are exploring new shapes using generative algorithms, Grasshopper® is a graphical algorithm editor tightly integrated with Rhino’s 3-D modeling tools. Unlike RhinoScript, Grasshopper requires no knowledge of programming or scripting, but still allows designers to build form generators from the simple to the awe-inspiring."

One look in the Grasshopper gallery will show the power of scripting for non-programmers:
www.grasshopper3d.com/photo

It's early days, I appreciate, but can you envisage your MoI driving app being anything like Grasshopper?

- Hamish Mead
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3341.24 In reply to 3341.23 
> It's early days, I appreciate, but can you envisage your MoI driving app being anything like Grasshopper?

Hmm, good question. I've only looked at Grasshopper briefly, long before I started any of this (and I don't own a copy of Rhino, so it was only a very cursory look), but it is probably worth taking another look. I suspect we are both playing in the same space, but I'll make a note to check it out again, and let you know if I find anything worth thinking about in more detail. Thanks for bringing it up...

- Dave Morrill
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Blimey, if you could create something like grasshopper for moi that would be very impressive. Some sort of panneling tools would be very much appreciated and quite unexpected. Im no scripter but would love to be a ble to form generative shapes ala grasshopper. Exciting stuff your doing here, thanks a lot.

Rob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3341.26 In reply to 3341.19 
Oh, wow, this is absolutely wonderful! I've been meaning to build basically exactly this for years, but it's kept getting punted in favor of other projects. I'm a python programmer and while I still don't have much time, I'd be wonderfully interested in getting the code to play with some time.

/Ella
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3341.27 In reply to 3341.20 
This interface will be so useful if it can be expanded to work like grasshopper. Parametric design(especially for architecture and product fabrication) relies heavily on this kind of workflow a lot these days
please take a look at grasshopper or houdini's node based connections as a possible direction.
looking foward to see what can come out of this development.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
If I good understand that is the same than the parametric "Paracloud" but for nurbs ;)
http://www.paraclouding.com/GEM/

Moi + Python + Dave Morill = infinite volume parametric world!

PS We can listen during the video some songs of cock rooster ! ;)

EDITED: 5 Mar 2010 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3341.29 In reply to 3341.28 
Well, at this point, the code is nowhere near as extensive as Paracloud. Right now there are three main aspects to what I am doing:

- Documenting the MoI low-level API used by the tools currently in MoI.
- Creating a simple procedural library that sits on top of the low-level API.
- Creating an external scripting interface that allows external programs to control MoI using either the low-level or procedural API.

So the potential is there to do some more elaborate things, but what is there now are just small baby steps in that direction.

As to the rooster, I guess I missed that since I never even notice them myself anymore. They are just a fact of life here in the Philippines ;-)

- Dave Morrill
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3341.30 In reply to 3341.29 
Thx for all the precisions!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Dave, I'm very interested in your development, because I really want to learn how to write scripts. I have a question. When will be available to download your design? First and foremost I am not interested in Python interface itself, and the ability to write scripts in notepad and see the result at the same time in the program.

Thank you.

Russian:
Дэйв, меня очень интересует твоя разработка, так как я очень хочу научиться писать скрипты. У меня вопрос. Когда будет доступна для скачивания твоя разработка? В первую очередь меня интересует не сам интерфейс на питоне, а возможность писать сценарии в блокноте и одновременно видеть результат в программе.

Спасибо.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-31