V2 beta Feb-21-2010 available now
 1-20  21-40  41-57

Previous
Next
Thanks everyone, it looks like the new Insect toll is a hit! (I guess that's better than "buggy tool") ;)

So far things are looking in good shape for wrapping up v2.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.22 In reply to 3338.5 
> The Insect Toll is damn cool!!!

I said insect because the fun .. and not because the relation with bugged tool.. for me the tool is perfect! (just clarifying)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.23 In reply to 3338.22 
> I said insect because the fun

Yup, I got a laugh out of it! I think the original mention of insect looked like some kind of auto-correct going wrong...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.24 In reply to 3338.23 
Great thing about MoI, that flexable UI and naming convention. You could actually name it insect if you wanted to. I think the theme designers will have a blast when It's all said and done. Quirky artist can name the commands whatever they want!

The surfers theme:

GetBarreled = bool diff

Tubed = cylider

OffTheLip = Sweep

BottomTurn = Trim

WipeOut = Hide

I think Danny has a command called "CreateTotallyBizzareResult" or something like that.

Let's see....Star Trek!

MrSpok =
KlingOn =
DylithiumCrystals =

Sorry....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Awesome!!

Thanks Michael!!

<3
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I thought I'd help out with the V2 documentation.

Here are the main three new features.

Burr the command was 'WeirdBackwardsHide' :)

-
~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.27 In reply to 3338.26 
I thought it was me always on The Coopers Beer!

1.I found the note on how to get the UI bottom tools into the centre for my arthritus--beauty-done!
2. BUT, still need that thingy instruction to bring the key strokes in from V1 so I can access the plugins.

Please
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.28 In reply to 3338.27 
Hi Brian, I've attached the script copier utility for this version here.

If you run this utility it will copy plugins that were installed in the commands folder in v1 into the current v2 beta's commands folder so they will then also be installed in v2.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Very cool again Michael G!!!!!

Thanks again

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/fish317537
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.30 In reply to 3338.8 
Hi Dan,

quote:
Perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick but it seems like you had a pretty open beta for v2 for almost a couple of years and for a lot of that time it was close to production-ready.

Yup, that's a good description of how it went. I think there was only really 1 beta release for v2 that was seriously messed up and I put out a new one just a couple of days after it to fix it up.

Other than that one release they were all highly stable.

I just generally put a high priority on stabilizing things and fixing bugs more as I go along instead of postponing them all until the end. I think keeping the quality high all the time like this actually ends up saving a lot of time in the long run.

quote:

Will it be something like:

-V2 docs completed, v2 ships
-Holiday!
-Planning for next version
-Six months later, v3 rolling beta starts
-New functions added bit by bit over 6-12 months
-New functions frozen
-Final bug fixes, tidy up docs and ship v3

Or will it be more conventional sort of approach i.e. we wait 18 months and suddenly one day a fairly complete v3 appears with a frozen feature set and the package is shipped after 3 months of beta testing?

Well, the idea is to do something more like the first type which is kind of like how v2 went.

It just produces a much higher quality end result to do it like that, not only just for stability but also being able to incorporate feedback and suggestions.

When possible I do like to finish up individual features more completely earlier in the cycle, instead of there really being a single "New functions frozen" stage like you're listing above.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.31 In reply to 3338.30 
>>>>>-Holiday!
>>>>>

The guy's so good he took his holiday while producing the V2 results! Still answered questions on the forum while on holiday!!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hey Michael...

When installing the new beta, should I just install it straight over the top of the last one?

Or should I uninstall the last one, and the install the new one?

Also, will it keep my settings? (shortcuts mainly)

Thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.33 In reply to 3338.32 
Hi NightCabbage,

> When installing the new beta, should I just install it straight
> over the top of the last one?

Probably not a good idea, since that will likely mess up the uninstall of the old version.

It's easiest to install each beta to its default folder - each beta will go to its own separate folder by default, like this one will install by default to:
C:\Program Files\MoI 2.0 beta Feb-21-2010

Note that the date of the beta is at the end there so that each one is a different folder.

You can have multiple v2 betas installed at the same time side by side that way.

> Or should I uninstall the last one, and the install the new one?

You can do that, or probably the best thing is to just install the new one and leave the last one in place for a while until you're sure that the new one is all working properly.

After a while then uninstall the old one.

> Also, will it keep my settings? (shortcuts mainly)

Yup, your settings including shortcuts are stored in the moi.ini file. Unless you have moved it to be alongside the moi.exe file the moi.ini file is stored in a central place under c:\Documents and Settings\ (or under c:\Users for Vista or Win7) so that each beta is able to see the same moi.ini file and use it.

The only thing that won't come over automatically is if you have installed any custom plugin commands by copying them to the \commands folder. If you have done that, then copy them into the \commands folder of the new beta as well to install them there too.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.34 In reply to 3338.26 
> I thought I'd help out with the V2 documentation.

LOL !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.35 In reply to 3338.34 
I am here on the forum about 1 week with my new MoI, and I want to say that these days was a pleasure, just because the software is very nice(the inteface and lwo export is the best) and Michael is a very polite person with a bit of humor(important ;), and of course nice guys here too. Wondering my year here and doing nice stuffs with MoI.

That´s it! (srymybrazilian´senglish)

T
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.36 In reply to 3338.35 
Thanks Michael though you know my basic agument that I should have not needed to go through that, to me, wierd UI complex proeedure or this , still incomplete as a method /principle/ idea of "!!!socalled" short cut/plugins update!

It seems all so out of character to the brilliant MoI philosophy.
I cry when I look at the Petr's MoI page in the wikki--so unnatuiral an approach.

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.37 In reply to 3338.36 
Hi Brian, yes I fully understand your argument, I think we've been over it quite a large number of times now.

It's something that I definitely want to improve!

But unfortunately improvements take time and work to create.

My time is limited... So it is just not possible for me to make every single kind of improvement all at once, some kinds of improvements will take time before I can get to them, and this is one of them.

In the meantime, running that helper program that I posted gets the job done for you and copies the needed files from one folder to the other - it is a pretty simple way to get the job done currently.

For most people, just copying files from one folder to another is not really a big deal.

Currently I just have placed a higher priority on other things such as new modeling tools like the new Inset command, rather than streamlining the plug-in system. At some point in the future though I should be able to dedicate some time to the plug-in system to improve it.

In the meantime, my suggestion would be to actually avoid using any plug-ins and just stick with the built in standard toolset instead. That way you won't run into this issue with needing to copy the plug-in files over.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

:'(

EDITED: 3 Dec 2015 by PAQ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I just want to say great work Michael for v2!

Between the 1-rail sweep being updated to automatically miter corners and now the Insectoid tool, OH!, and lets not forget the surfacing, this sci-fi junkae now has a great little program for creating his spaceship and other futuristic models!

I really appreciate all your efforts, listening to, and accepting a good amount of our suggestions.

Then there's also the time you took out during development to answer our modeling question - and with GIF diagrams too!

Thanks for your excellent program and excellent support! :-)

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3338.40 In reply to 3338.37 
Hi Michael,

Just a quick note to compliment you on the latest Beta & say that I'm looking forward to the final V2 release.

Also of note:
I'm running XP & have noticed that when I do the Uninstall of a previous Beta there's always the actual Beta folder left under C: Programs.
And within that Beta folder is the "commands" folder containing all of the "Add-On Scripts" I'd been running previously.
I just Select All > Cut & then Paste them into the newly installed Beta's "command" folder...
...I then go back & Delete the previous Beta Folder from the C: Programs list...couldn't be simpler!!

I'll also point out that I don't see any of this as a problem.

So not sure if this is just a "Windows XP" only thing, but for others that are having problems with moving or finding their Scripts like Brian...
...maybe have a look at your C: Programs list?
You might just find a whole collection of previous Beta Folders, each containing a command folder with those Add-On Scripts you've added.

Hope this helps, Colin

EDITED: 23 Feb 2010 by COLIN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-57