rectangular dimensions

Next
Hi Michael ...

I consistently have a problem entering numeric dimensions for 3 point rectangles.

I'll try to explain ...

First I enter the 3 point rectangle command from the UI and then type in the width and press enter .. ok so far
and the mouse will indicate that the height is perpendicular to the width and show a number which changes with the movement of the mouse but if I type in a number then it changes the width dimension not the height ...
I have to select the height box with my mouse and then I get the keypad ... I can then use it or type in a number but it feels to me that once the width has set and the box for height is active then I should be able to type in the height without selecting that box with the mouse first.

It feel like an extra motion to have to bring the keypad up first.

Am I missing something here? In my architecture work I use this 3 point rectangle a lot and it seems counter intuitive.

thanks,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3336.2 In reply to 3336.1 
You could just hit tab and enter the second value before hitting enter, then to finalize the command is a pick in the window to set the direction.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3336.3 In reply to 3336.2 
Thanks BurrMan
Perfect!
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3336.4 In reply to 3336.1 
Hi eric, yup Burr has it nailed! :)

When there is a command that has multiple fields in it like rectangle, then instead of hitting Enter to commit the value you just typed in, press Tab.

Tab will commit the value you typed, and then also move focus to the next field so you can immediately start typing the next value.

Also you can press Tab a couple of times from the start if you want to skip focus between fields until you get to the one you want to type into.

When you are in "Selection mode" before you are running any command, you can also press Tab to put focus into the x,y,z coordinate box, and type in command names to launch a command that way, or also if you type in an object name that way it will select objects that match that name.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3336.5 In reply to 3336.4 
Whoa!!!!! Object name selection from the command. I missed that. Very cool :o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3336.6 In reply to 3336.5 
Hi Michael ...

That's great ... I just didn't realize the thing about the tab key and was confused because the enter key did not do what I expected.

Tab work like a charm.
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3336.7 In reply to 3336.5 
Hi Burr,

> Whoa!!!!! Object name selection from the command.
> I missed that. Very cool :o

You can also use wildcards for the typed in object names.

Like for example if you had 2 objects one named "Upper section" and the other named "Lower section", if you typed in *section it will match with both of those and select them both.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All