Running MoI Version 1.1 and the beta version
All  1  2-7

Previous
Next
3326.2 In reply to 3326.1 
Hi Nicholas, I also sent you a reply through e-mail, I'll include it here as well:

----------

Hi Nicholas, I have not heard of this problem from anyone else so far...

Have you recently installed any kind of software that might be hooking into programs and modifying how they work? Like for example things that may change the appearance of programs or maybe some kind of virus or spyware checker?

MoI does make a lot of use of the Internet Explorer HTML engine for its UI, and if something is messed up on your system with IE then that could possibly cause problems with MoI running. You might try pushing the IE reset settings button that is mentioned in this blog post:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/06/12/628499.aspx

Also installing the latest version of IE may help to get IE straightened out.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3326.3 In reply to 3326.1 
If none of those things above work, you may need to re-format your drive and reinstall Windows on it to clear off whatever has become messed up in your Windows installation...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3326.4 In reply to 3326.3 
Here is a batch file that will reset a corrupted IE. Give the text file a bat extenstion and run it.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3326.5 In reply to 3326.1 
Yes Thanks it worked,

P.S. I hope I never have to do a clean install windows, It will take week, I have applications that require a licence key and on line registration.

thanks again
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3326.6 In reply to 3326.5 
Hi Nicholas, that's great, I'm glad that worked!

That probably means that your system registry got partially messed up though, which is not a good sign for your machine, it could mean that possibly some pieces of your machine are not healthy.

Once you have your machine in a good state, it may be a good idea to make an image backup of the hard drive, so that you can completely restore it back to its current state later on. I use some software called Acronis True Image for doing this over here.

Restoring an image is way easier than actually doing a completely new install of Windows, since it maintains all your installed applications. Also it's an good way to upgrade your hard drive to a new one and then put all the exact same stuff back on the new one.

It may be a good time now to do a disk check - right click on your drive under "My computer", and go to Properties > Tools tab > "Check Now" button, and check the button to do a bad sector scan. Then when you reboot your disk will be examined for any bad sectors and those will be marked to not be used. That may help avoid some problems but note that it will probably take several hours for the scan to run.

Another thing that I've seen cause registry corruption in the past is RAM that is starting to get flaky. Since the registry is loaded in memory all the time and then saved back out when you shut down Windows, it can get messed up by bad RAM. You may want to get a memory test utility like this one: http://www.memtest.org/ and let it crunch away for a few hours testing your RAM to make sure there are no problems there.

Anyway, if your hard drive is old you may want to think about replacing it with a new one sooner rather than later with a symptom like this having happened.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3326.7 In reply to 3326.6 
I had a similar problem on my Mac under Parallels. The UI got wonky, and lost its ability to find centers, tangents, etc. Resetting IE using the script seems to fix everything. Very odd!

Chris
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-7