latest WIP after 1 hour with Moi
 1-20  21-40  41-44

Previous
Next
3322.41 In reply to 3322.40 
Hi Chris, well it could be possible to adjust some mesh settings in order to avoid creating too many little teeny-tiny polygons.

If you can post your scaled down model, and also let me know what mesh settings you were using for the STL file that was not accepted, that could help with that.

It may be possible to solve it by loosening the meshing angle somewhat, or possibly use the "Avoid smaller than" setting to make small things get a rougher meshing on them.

But if I could have a starting point with the exact model and settings that you used, that would let me take a look at the output and see if there is maybe some other problem with the mesh apart from that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3322.42 In reply to 3322.41 
Hi Michael. Hope this helps.

I created the STL with a setting of "6", to give approx. 400k polygons.

C.

EDITED: 20 Feb 2022 by TWOFOOT

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3322.43 In reply to 3322.42 
Hi Chris, try sending them the attached STL file, it seems to check out fine.

To generate this file, I saved to STL and for the meshing parameters I used:

Angle = 6
Avoid smaller than = 0.001

The "Avoid smaller than" parameter tells the mesher that any curved surface under 0.001 units in size should get more roughly meshed, it helps to avoid generating a zillion little teeny tiny bits here.

This STL file only has 38,442 polygons in it, so using that parameter eliminates a whole lot of tiny pieces in this case.

You may want to download the "MiniMagics" STL viewer program from here: http://www.materialise.com/MiniMagics - that's something that you can use to check the STL output and see if it can find any problems in it.

Ideally you will want to avoid making curved features that are so very small though, when you are planning on doing a 3D print of your model. That's also just modeling time that is wasted because you're going way under the resolution of what the rapid prototyping machines can actually generate.

But I hope this STL attached here will work for you!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3322.44 In reply to 3322.43 
Thank you Michael! The model has been accepted and is now scheduled for RP printing. Finger crossed, I will post photos when the model arrives.

Thanks again for all your help. Should this work as planned, I will be using Moi for some production level RP work.

Cheers,

Chris
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-44