tesselation question, special imnporter plugin to cinema4d
All  1-4  5-10

Previous
Next
Is this for people who receive 3dm files but do not have access to either moi, or rhino?
At least when using moi (from Rhino it is a different story), I would not see a need to have an import plugin in C4d since the
obj or lwo meshes from Moi are extremely clean.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I bought C4D specifically because it imported MoI objects the best out of all the 3D apps I have.

The Objs do fine all by themselves but if you want v2's new styles to get in also, use the Riptide plugin and then you'll get the styles as well - job done...

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
thanks for the answers, i know the obj export is working good in MOI,and i own reptide pro,
still this has no automatic file export capability, as we have it in our plugin, and some other drawbacks from the way it is structured in c4d.
the plugin makes our live a lot easier for the rhino-c4d connection. and i would have loved the same workflow for moi.

in the end it is all about workflow. the rhino files comes in very nice and clean from all our models and testers, so we are quite happy with the rhino mesh export. it is true that there are this limits you explain in rhino, but we seldom had a problem with that or miss those features.

anyway, as moi users i miss the ability to mesh an object without the need to export it.
so i place here an wish, maybe sometime there will be a tessellate command inside MOI:-)

thanks
stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
My experience is that the stored meshes from Rhino are inferior to the meshes exported with options in Rhino which are in turn inferior to the meshes exported from MOI. I'll stick with the MOI step for C4D conversion of 3dm files for quality and control reasons.
Rainer
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3314.9 In reply to 3314.7 
Hi stefan,

> the rhino files comes in very nice and clean from all our
> models and testers, so we are quite happy with the rhino
> mesh export.

Are you only working with very simple models or something?

Rhino has a tendency to create quite messy meshes, there are a lot of people who use MoI only for the purpose of getting a higher quality and cleaner mesh (including using n-gons) than what Rhino is able to produce.

Problems with Rhino's mesher are pretty well known, and are discussed frequently in the Rhino newsgroup.

Here are a couple of comparisons in meshing between Rhino and MoI from some other people:

http://www.renderology.com/?p=144
http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=23798

There you can see some direct side-by-side comparisons between the meshing, and it is so easy to see how messy Rhino's output is, and what a nice benefit it can be to the wireframe appearance to generate n-gons rather than a whole bunch of triangles.

Cinema4D has good support for n-gons so it is kind of a shame to not make use of it...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3314.10 In reply to 3314.7 
Hi stefan, so I guess the problem for MoI users is that storing the mesh data into a 3DM file will actually degrade the data - you won't have support for things like welded points and n-gons which MoI users are currently able to make use of when exporting to OBJ format. Those are not just fringe features either, they are used quite frequently.

3DM is just not a particularly good format for storing mesh data...

Why not use OBJ format for your importer instead? OBJ is just fundamentally a more flexible format for storing meshes.

Just because Riptide does OBJ format does not mean that you cannot use OBJ format as well, and you can then add in whatever automated export or structural type mechanisms that you wish, without being forced to also degrade the mesh geometry.

> so i place here an wish, maybe sometime there will be a
> tessellate command inside MOI:-)

The thing is, in the future when I would have a command for that, it could be better to have it focused on producing a full fidelity mesh inside of MoI and not necessarily one that was Rhino compatible because of all the limitations in Rhino's mesh structure that I wrote about previously. I guess maybe there could be some kind of option to generate a more limited Rhino compatible mesh instead possibly.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-10