MoI as "the Visio of 3D?" Rendering advice please
 1-20  21-40  41-45

Previous
Next
Just couldn't resist putting in my 2 cents on alternative means of constructing some of the geometry in this thread using MoI.

Here's a version of a lattice created procedurally:

And here is the MoI script used to generate it:

Although it might be a bit of a challenge to create such as script initially, the advantage is that it is very easy to tweak things once you have it working. Here are two more variations of the original, with the only difference being that the first line of the script was changed to "n = 13;" and "n = 25;" respectively:

This particular script also has support for changing the radius of each sphere type, the radius of the connecting rods, the distance between the lattice points, and the style colors for each of the different elements, in addition to the overall size of the lattice.

BTW, for the n = 25 case, it took about 13 seconds to run the script to create the lattice. But at this point we are definitely getting outside of MoI's normal "comfort zone". Zooming and rotating the model to take the screen shot was initially extremely sluggish (nudge the mouse, then wait 3 or 4 seconds for the screen to update). I tried setting the Meshing angle to a much higher value and that seemed to help quite a bit. I could actually rotate and zoom the scene much more normally...

- Dave Morrill

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3310.42 In reply to 3310.41 
Sorry I don't remmember how launch this sort of script concretly?
With a normal shortcut? (put the text code in the second column? or inside another script ?)...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3310.43 In reply to 3310.42 
Sorry, forgot to mention that the script uses an unreleased procedural library, so you can't run it at the moment. Maybe someday. It was meant more as an example of using the MoI programming API rather than something you could try yourself at home...

- Dave Morrill
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3310.44 In reply to 3310.43 
Michael, if you could just finalise the API Dave used, polish it to a high sheen, add a nice little front end, document the whole thing in detail and release in time the weekend, I'd be grateful.

Thanks
Dan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Dave!

I was wondering about the procedural script just the other day...

Release one :)

It'll be so handy!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-45