Numeric Input
All  1-11  12-18

Previous
Next
Thanks guys :)

Michael - yes, I guess I was thinking that each object could have a local axis, with a "center point" - which would, by default, be the center of the whole object, but you could also move it to any other point on the object.

Having a centroid, as you said, in the exact center of the object would be handy - I'm often needing that, and the BoundingBoxCenter command is a little bulky to use (and then you need to delete the point, etc.)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3289.13 In reply to 3289.12 
Hi NightCabbage,

> Michael - yes, I guess I was thinking that each object
> could have a local axis, with a "center point" - which
> would, by default, be the center of the whole object,
> but you could also move it to any other point on the
> object.

Well, that implies quite a lot of things to support that - extra stuff being drawn on the screen, extra UI to manage that local axis separately from the object, you may be surprised at how much impact such a thing would have.

It's pretty easy for all that stuff to actually have a negative impact, basically anything that adds clutter and complexity can have some negative consequences to it.

> Having a centroid, as you said, in the exact center of the object
> would be handy - I'm often needing that, and the BoundingBoxCenter
> command is a little bulky to use (and then you need to delete the
> point, etc.)

Yeah, that's why having it as an option in the Move command could be handy.

Do you have an example of a situation where you needed it? Note that there is also the Transform > Align command which does allow you to center an object at a particular spot in a 2D sense, does that help do what you need?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Perhaps it's a legacy of my background, but I often find myself wanting to position and rotate objects from their center points :)

Probably my default way of working, unless I want to align something with an edge of another object, etc. (whereupon the default MoI style is perfect)

Sorry Michael, I feel like I've been asking for so many feature requests over the last 24 hours! Just thought I'd post some of the things I'd been thinking about since learning MoI :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3289.15 In reply to 3289.14 
Hi NightCabbage, well for rotation if you use the edit frame in a 2D viewport, that will rotate around its center point.

For example here I am rotating a box by using the rotation grip on the edit frame, notice how it rotates around its center:

Does that do what you want?

It would probably help me a lot if you could post some example models that showed me some instances where you wanted to do some of the things you are discussing, like move an object by its center point.

If you just want to move an object over a bit arbitrarily, you can grab any point to do that, you don't really need the center specifically for just pushing it over a bit or stuff like that.

If you want the center to align with other things, the Align command could probably do that job for you.

It's also possible to grab the midpoint between 2 points as the source for Move by using construction lines, maybe that would help you out in some circumstances.

But it is difficult for me to know for sure because I don't really understand the particular situation that you're running into - if you could show me an example model that would help me understand more specifically what you are trying to do.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3289.16 In reply to 3289.15 
< For example here I am rotating a box by using the rotation grip on the edit frame, notice how it rotates around its center:

And if you Click on the "rounded arraw" you can change the axe of rotation ;)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ah, I didn't know that, cool! :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3289.18 In reply to 3289.17 
And of course that works in 3D ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-11  12-18