exporting into archicad 12??
All  1-2  3-6

Previous
Next
Hi, unfortunately .3ds is the only way i've found to import into archicad. The quality of the model is OK but I tend to use it as a place holder and replace it with a .obj version when i import the archicad model into C4D. There is a problem with MOI .3ds export in the fact that i cant get moi to export its styles in the .3ds format - certainly archicad cant read them and the objects come in in one material. Exporting from C4D to archicad with .3ds does allow multiple materials so im guessing they've not been enabled in the moi export.

cheers
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3249.4 In reply to 3249.1 
Hi you can export in 3ds format but archicad is not nurbs based otherwise polygon.
I have got same probleme. Laeave that software If you want create curvy form.
Archicad only just for straight and simple architecture...so boring.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3249.5 In reply to 3249.3 
Hi Rob, yeah currently style information is not exported by MoI into 3DS format.

3DS format is a really pretty antiquated and limited format - it comes from the old 3D Studio MS-DOS version and has several 16-bit era limits in it. Also a major problem with it is that it does not have any way to store shading vertex normals in it.

So I usually only recommend it as a kind of last resort.

It looks like archicad is possibly only focused on imports in DWG, DXF, and 3DS imports? It seems like they have gone for an almost exclusively Autodesk oriented compatibility which seems kind of strange...

Maybe I'll be able to add styles export to 3DS in MoI v3, but I kind of hate to devote much effort on 3DS since it is just not a good format really.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3249.6 In reply to 3249.5 
Funny thing is it used to support .obj format upto (i think) version 9 then they dropped it! I hate to admit it but i think Revit from what i can see looks to be leaving archicad behind and im not sure what archicad can do as it is based on older code which clearly doesnt handle nurbs or any of the more modern modelling solutions. Our office is looking to get a seat of revit to give it a spin. Im looking forward to seing what it can do and would be looking forward to it even more if it want an autodesk product these days!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-6