Unable to detect direct3d9 device?
 1-13  14-24

Previous
Next
322.14 In reply to 322.13 
Wow, nice support !
I updated the dll and now I have no problems running moi in both landscape and portrait mode (I used to have more problems in portrait mode even when running moi alone).
I can even run mplayer at the same time as moi in landscape mode without problem although the "bug" remains when running both in portrait mode. I wonder why as portrait and landscape mode are supposed to use the same amount of memory (well, same amount of pixels)?

Anyway it is now fully functionnal as is. I will look for system updates to see if that solves the remaining glitches.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
322.15 In reply to 322.14 
Hi Brovic, that's great news.

I seem to remember that some hardware implements portrait/landscape switch by having a kind of extra mirroring-type stage in the graphics pipeline. I think it was something to do with fooling stuff that wasn't originally designed to swap stuff around, I can't quite remember the details. But that's what you're probably seeing there.

With that low memory video, you'll just have to be somewhat conservative about running more than one video hungry application at the same time.

But that's actually a pretty good card other than the low memory. Now that there isn't a spike in memory usage, I would think it should run pretty well. MoI is designed to stream most stuff to the card on demand so it doesn't take too much open video memory after its base setup for it to run normally.

Thanks for reporting this issue!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael,
I just installed MoI feb-9-2007 beta and no problems with the install. I get the above referenced error and get the following from the error log:
.\Direct3D.cpp 149: GetDeviceCaps failed, Adapter = 0 hr = -2005530518
.\Direct3D.cpp 580: CreateDevice failed hr = -2005530518

I have an nVIDIA Quadro FX with 512 MB of memory working on dual monitors with 1920 by 1200 on one (laptop) and 1680 by 1050 on the other (flat screen). The system and monitor are both Dell.

Any suggestions?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
322.17 In reply to 322.16 
I believe that this is an indication that something has gone wrong with your video driver install or configuration somehow.

The name of this error code is "D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE" - I've done some searches on "GetDeviceCaps D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE" and I've seen some mention of this error related to various games.

One thing to try is go to Start / Run and run "dxdiag.exe". There should be "Display 1" and "Display 2" tabs in there, each of which has a "Test Direct3D" button on it - give those a try and see if the tests are successful or not.

I've also seen one place where one person was able to fix their configuration by using dxdiag.exe, and pushing the "Disable" button next to Direct3D Acceleration in that same tab, then exiting dxdiag.exe, then starting dxdiag.exe and re-enabling it. Apparently this may fix some problem in the driver configuration, so that is worth a try.

The other thing that you might try is updating to the newest version of your card's video driver.

Please let me know if any of these solves your problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
322.18 In reply to 322.17 
I did a little more research into the laptop video card and come to discover that the video card is incapable of using Direct3D. The option is greyed out in the dxdiag.exe dialog box. The software looks great, but it looks like I'm out of luck. I'll try it on my home machine. Thanks for all the help.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
322.19 In reply to 322.18 
It's an nVidia Quadro FX? It is supposed to support Direct3D... Every model listed here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html mentions DirectX 9 support.

Unless you found out you have some different video card, you probably have some installation problem with your video drivers. If something has gone wrong with the drivers install, it can make Windows/DirectX think that you have no hardware video acceleration. Updating to the newer drivers may clear it up.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael, I started to redo your tutorial on the Japanese bath, I clicked on MOI, and the program opened up with this message:Unable to create direct 3d9 device. Its never done it before! I enclose error messages from dxdiag.exe and MOI error.log.
Thanks
John

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
322.21 In reply to 322.20 
Hi John, well when dxdiag.exe shows an error in its tests, it definitely means that something is messed up with DirectX.

Maybe it has crashed or something, try doing a shutdown and restart of windows and see if it works ok after that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
322.22 In reply to 322.19 
Michael,
This nVidia is a 350M from Dell. It says that it should support Direct3D, but the only features revolve around DirectDraw, DirectSound, DirectMusic and DirectPlay. All of the options for DirectX are greyed out. I've installed the latest drivers and gone through the troubleshooting tools. It says that everything is fine, but no luck with the DirectX options. I'll keep on trying and get back to you when all is right with the world.

Ricardo - keeping the faith
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
322.23 In reply to 322.22 
Hi Ricardo, sorry it's still not working for you. That card is definitely supposed to support Direct3D, in fact it should be a pretty good card to run it.

But failures in dxdiag.exe definitely mean something is messed up on your system...

Maybe it is possible that something is messed up in DirectX itself rather than in the video driver... If that is the case it is possible that installing the new version of DirectX will tune it up: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
322.24 In reply to 322.23 
Michael,
I've tried it all. I'll call Dell and see if there is some switch or hardware issue with the card that I have. Maybe we saved a whole 10 bucks on IT's budget with the configuration we have. I'll keep watching the boards to find the solution or post it when I have one.

Ricardo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-13  14-24