extrusion won't cap ends

Next
I have a shape that I want to extrude into a very thin solid with capped ends. I have included everything in a drawing. It will extrude the shape out by 3/32" but it won't cap the ends no matter what I do. I notice that the system says that the shape is a curve but not a closed curve, but I can't find any break in it. Could you please show me what is wrong and how to find it myself next time.
Thanks,
Mark
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
3172.2 In reply to 3172.1 
Hi Mark, that's actually a bug in Join where it can fail to glue the overall beginning and ending of the curve together if all the other pieces meet together with a very tight tolerance but the overall start/end are at a slightly larger distance (but still within join tolerance) from one another.

That's fixed for the next beta - I'm pretty sure that's what you have run into in this case.

In this case the opening is here:

And it's not actually a hole, it's the other situation where the points are crossed over each other with a slight overshoot (very small amount), similar to this:

The picture above is exaggerated to give you the idea - those overshoot openings can be harder to see since there is not any visible gap in the curve in that case, especially when the overshoot is very small or is all aligned to be on one line.

I've attached a fixed version here as "fixed wheel2.3dm" - delete your problem curve from your model and use File/Import to bring in the one in this updated file and then you should be good to go.

It will be good to have this join bug fixed, because it could pretty easily lead to this situation.

I found the location in this case by turning on control points and then just dragging each one off to the side until I found the one where there was a separation.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All