measuring angles

Next
Is there a way to get MoI to measure an angle for me? There a tricks to measure the length of a line and the distance between things, etc. Is there a way to get it to measure an angle for me?
Thanks,
Mark
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3148.2 In reply to 3148.1 
Maybe this can help you ;)
And you can also enter the angle with the numeric keyboard ;)
You obtain "Help Lines" with function when you Click draw and move without release-release!
You can have any number of help lines during a function before the first click, after the first click, before the last click of the function!
Then draw your line or any thing you want inside your function used ;) (I am using function line here ;)

EDITED: 5 Dec 2009 by PILOU

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3148.3 In reply to 3148.1 
Hi Mark, like Pilou shows there it's the next control over from the distance one.

When you are drawing a line for example, the angle in the plane that the line forms will display there.

So for example if you draw a line that is going directly towards the right , that's an angle of 0, it's as if you also drew in a second line from the same base point going in the x axis direction and then got the angle between the 2 lines.

Another possibility might be to use the Transform/Rotate command and snap the reference points on to the things you want to measure. The angle parameter in the upper right corner of the screen for the Rotate command will update as you move those points around.

But really this is an unfinished area of MoI right now - at the moment it is probably best to export your model data to another CAD program that has those measuring features in it, like dimensions and stuff like that. I do plan on making some steps to add more functions for measurement in v3 though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3148.4 In reply to 3148.1 
Hi Mark, also is there a particular reason why you are looking for the angle?

Is it to do something like rotate some object back to be horizontal or anything like that?

Because for those kinds of things, you don't actually need to know the specific numeric angle you can instead pick the reference points in the Transform/Rotate command on to the appropriate spots and it will figure the angle to rotate between the points for you.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All