Curve RADS to CORNERS?

Next
Hi Michael,

Is there a way to quickly turn radiused or curved corners, that are adjacent to to straight edges, back to a sharp corner.

I do a lot of furniture design and development and underlying a lot of this are curve driven extrusions. As MoI is not parametric it would be great (and speedy) to be able to change these back to corners if I want to affect an amended design iteration. I know you can explode the curve and extend to intersection and re-weld the curve, this would make things quicker?

See the simple example shown (not specific to a project but gives the illustration).

Thanks.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3139.2 In reply to 3139.1 
Hi Tipps,

You can drag the tangent control points of the radii to the one intersecting point, then delete the two duplicate points. That will produce the sharp corner without seperating the closed curve. I can post more when I get home.

Michael T.

Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu

http://www.coroflot.com/fish317537

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3139.3 In reply to 3139.1 
Hi Matt, there isn't any special just "one click to remove fillet" command...

I'm not sure where I would put a special "unfillet" command like that in the UI right now. I'm not sure that it comes up frequently enough for it to have its own entry next to Fillet for example.

The main way that comes to mind currently would be to use separate, extend, and then join like you mentioned.

But Michael T has a great suggestion there for an alternate way that has fewer steps than Separate + Extend + Join.

Using the Move command followed by control point deletion works like this:

Probably in v3 I'll be able to come up with some additional options as well, like one thing that I want to add is an option for changing a selected control point from a "smooth" point to a "corner" point. That would be another way to alter the point structure so that you could then delete the other adjacent ones.

Also in the future I'll probably be adding in some specialized "quick pick drawing cleanup" type tools, probably a generalized "RemoveSegment" command could get done at that time.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3139.4 In reply to 3139.3 
Hi guys,

This my first try at uploading video. No audio.

This was done on a closed polyline. It seems to work with snapping to grid points. I'll keep researching it.

Hope this helps.

Michael T.

Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu

http://www.coroflot.com/fish317537

EDITED: 4 Nov 2010 by MICTU_UTCIM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3139.5 In reply to 3139.3 
Thanks Michael's - All seems logical for now. I suppose I am comparing curve editing with the likes of Corel / Illustrator where you have fine control. This obviously only works with nodes being on the bezier curve. As Moi has control nodes off the curve I suppose this has limitations for picking a single point on a curve and turning it into a corner?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3139.6 In reply to 3139.5 
Hi Matt,

> As Moi has control nodes off the curve I suppose this
> has limitations for picking a single point on a curve and
> turning it into a corner?

I think that I'll still be able to make that work, it will just change the shape of the curve if you change a point that is not on the curve currently into a corner point. The curve will get modified so that it will go through that point after it is changed.

So the idea would be that if you had this curve:

Then if you modified the selected point there to be a "corner point" you would then get this result:

Would you expect to get something different than that?

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That's perfect! I'd be glad to have that!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3139.8 In reply to 3139.7 
I think what he was looking for was that drawing program type node where all the "points" are actually "on" the curve, and they each have "2 handles" (points) that pull out and away from the point to create the curvature. These points can be broken up so the handles work symmetrically, asymmetrically, or "converted to corner point", where they then are allowed to break curvature....

It really is a mess though when trying to work.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3139.9 In reply to 3139.8 
Hi Burr,

> I think what he was looking for was that drawing program
> type node where all the "points" are actually "on" the curve,
> and they each have "2 handles" (points) that pull out and
> away from the point to create the curvature.

Yeah that is what is called a "Piecewise Bezier" curve type structure.

It's not very good to use for things involving surfacing though, because that kind of a curve is not very smooth - it's made up of a bunch of little 4-point curves that are touching one another and each of those curve pieces are only tangent (G1) to one another and not curvature continuous to one another.

It tends to be harder to see this lack of smoothness when you are only looking it as a 2D outline. Once they are used as a basis for building a surface where the normals are more apparent through shading or reflections the curvature breaks can become more visible.

The NURBS curve method that MoI uses was basically invented specifically to solve this problem and to get a higher quality and smoother type of curve, where there can be more than just 4 points in a single smooth curve piece.

Personally I think the NURBS method is a lot better for 2D curve drawing as well though, because it behaves in a more predictable and uniform manner, the Bezier drawing method involves a kind of strange "bulge things out while drawing" type method while the NURBS curve drawing method lets you move more kind of forwards point by point as you are drawing.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3139.10 In reply to 3139.9 
Hi Michael,
I was actually just responding to a guy in another forum who is having difficulty with "Corel Type" geometry in a Cad/CAM software.

It becomes apparent there as the calculations of the machining break down on the imported geometry with regard to "connectivity of the defined curves and tolerance settings of some contour functions".

Thanks for the info....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3139.11 In reply to 3139.10 
Hi Burr,

> I was actually just responding to a guy in another forum who
> is having difficulty with "Corel Type" geometry in a
> Cad/CAM software.

That may actually be due to a different problem yet.

One other thing that is not too unusual with 2D drawing programs is to make one of those 4 point curve segments be set up with the first 2 points stacked up right on top of one another.

That somewhat degrades the mathematics that is operating behind the curve definitions, and that kind of "stacked up" / duplicated points can cause problems with various CAD/CAM programs that want to do some more sophisticated processing of the curves.

It may be due to a choice by the user making the 2D drawing data to use a particular node type on the starting node of a curve like "collapsed start" or "collapsed end" maybe something like that. They might want to avoid that kind of node type and instead make sure they have a visible tangent handle on every spot.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3139.12 In reply to 3139.11 
Thank you. Very good information.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3139.13 In reply to 3139.6 
Hi Michael,

Just back online - Your discussion with Burrman all seems logical. I understand the limitation with point bezier lines so your suggestion of picking a node and making it a corner is good for me.

Thanks, Matt
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All