WIP - HSK Kormoran
All  1-14  15-19

Previous
Next
3130.15 In reply to 3130.13 
Hi JP,
I screwed up....I was in My mind and when i got to MoI and tried it, I couldnt do what I was thinking it would do for the tail sections....

My bad. Thanks for looking out for me there! Sorry to mislead.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3130.16 In reply to 3130.8 
Wow nice tries to do that in one piece.

I know you will be able to do that one. A lot of work but practice is the best teacher to learn.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Mark,

I have good news and bad news about Kormoran.

The bad news is that the Russian drawing you and I used as a base is probably very wrong in the rudder area. It seems that whoever drew the plan used a single screw ship setup for what is in fact a twin-screw ship. I suspected that much early on and could not find a single photo of a multiple screw ship that would have a gap in front of the rudder. This was confirmed today from knowledgeable chaps at the modelwarship.com forum.

The good news is that the proper setup is much easier to model, much like a sailing ship in fact, with a keel extending nearly to the stern but no extension.

That puts a final nail into the coffin of that nagging doubt. Now I can resume the modelling of Kormoran. Still no luck finding proper photographs of a WW1 vintage 15cm gun though. All the ones I have show only the business end of the gun into its casemate. No view of the breech whatsoever, except from a single drawing.

But I guess that a contemporary smaller gun might be similar enough for our purposes.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
It seems that Kormoran's rudder and propellers would have been very similar to Altmark's, a contemporary ship that was used by the Kriegsmarine as a support ship for the Graf Spee. Here is a view from my friend Peter Lienau.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3130.19 In reply to 3130.18 
Hi Jean-Paul,

Sorry for my slow reply. I think I mentioned that my employer was going to give me a shot at some drafting work. Unfortunately never happened (don't think it was ever really going to). Most of my time the last couple of weeks has been devoted to finding a new job.

Thanks for all the excellent info for Kormoran. I hunted down your Model Warships forum thread. Very helpful stuff. I had a devil of a time undoing the incorrect stern I already had. I had gone too far with other work on it to start from scratch. I think it has come out OK though. Some screen shots attached.

How is your Kormoran coming along?

---
Mark
http://www.homepages.ihug.com.au/~mabrown/index.html

Image Attachments:
Size: 35.9 KB, Downloaded: 53 times, Dimensions: 1159x684px
Size: 37.9 KB, Downloaded: 65 times, Dimensions: 1159x684px
Size: 38.7 KB, Downloaded: 40 times, Dimensions: 1159x684px
Size: 41.6 KB, Downloaded: 91 times, Dimensions: 1159x684px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM