aligning to tangent points
All  1-6  7-18

Previous
Next
3113.7 In reply to 3113.6 
Hi Mark, so I think the problem you have there is that snapping happens mostly on curves and edges - there is no curve or edge going around the perimeter of the sphere here:

So you probably want to draw some circles in there (or use the new Construct > Curve > Silhouette command) so that you have a snappable curve there.

You mentioned Rhino - but in Rhino it works exactly the same way, for the most part in Rhino as well snaps target edges and curves and not just in the middle of some surface... You will need to use the same steps for this in either Rhino or MoI as far as I remember anyway.

So what I would do would be to draw in 2 circles like this:

You'll probably also want to switch to the Top view and drag them so that they are centered instead of at one side of the sphere, like this:

Now with those circle curves in place you will be able to snap on to those areas.

Then to get your cylinder aligned, probably your best bet would be to use Draw curve > Circles > Tangent, and enter your cylinder's radius (looks like 0.0625) as the circle's radius, that will work like this:

That circle's center point is then the place you want to move your cylinder to.

Many other kinds of solids may have edges already in strategic places, but a sphere does not - it's only got a single "seam edge" on it and that was not in the area that you wanted to snap on to in this case. When that happens you just need to create some helper circles that you can work off of.

Maybe in the future I will be able to make something like an implicit silhouette on solids that you can snap on to, but that is potentially a slow process to calculate that kind of silhouette on every single kind of surface object so that's why it does not attempt to do it currently.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3113.8 In reply to 3113.6 
Hi Mark, also just another general tip for situations like this - it would probably be better to arrange circles for those things more from the start, then draw in spheres and cylinders snapping on to the circles.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3113.9 In reply to 3113.7 
Also you may want to draw in a new cylinder piece, it looks like the current one you got is maybe a slice out of a longer piece or something? Anyway, it's edge is no longer an exact circle so it is not as easy to get a "cen" snap on it.

If you move the duplicate the edge and turn on control points you can see there are a whole bunch of points in it unlike a regular circle:

So you may want to draw in a new cylinder, or do an extrude of a circle to get a snappable center point on that edge.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3113.10 In reply to 3113.6 
Hi Mark, one other note - it definitely helps a lot when you post a specific model along with your question... It's just too hard to figure out what you might be running into with only a text description.

Like your original question here I could only answer in kind of a general way.

Knowing that you were working with spheres and not just something like line curves, makes a big difference.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3113.11 In reply to 3113.10 
Actually, Michael, that's exactly what I did to create them in the first place. I drew 3 circles touching in just the way I wanted and then turned them into the spheres and cylinder. Then I realized that the spheres needed to be larger. At that point I should have just started over from scratch but instead I decided to "fix" them. This led me to the situation where I realized that I didn't understand why things didn't work, hence this whole mess.

As for Rhino vs. MoI; they are similar and Rhino is so much superior to systems like AutoCAD that there is no comparison. But MoI is just so much nicer to use than Rhino that...well, I just love it. Even though one might say "If you've got Rhino, how can you justify getting MoI?" Again, ease of use and perception make all the difference.

Again, thanks for being patient. I don't know how you can answer all these questions and still work on the software. Oh yeah, no sleep...
Regards,
Mark
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3113.12 In reply to 3113.11 
Hi Mark, no problem!
quote:
As for Rhino vs. MoI; they are similar and Rhino is so much superior to systems like AutoCAD that there is no comparison. But MoI is just so much nicer to use than Rhino that...well, I just love it. Even though one might say "If you've got Rhino, how can you justify getting MoI?" Again, ease of use and perception make all the difference.

Well, Rhino was my 2nd generation CAD program that I designed.

MoI is my 3rd generation CAD program.

So of course I like to think I have learned over time! :) With the experience of being able to look back, there were a lot of design flaws that I had inadvertently stuck in Rhino which I've been able to correct with MoI.

That's sort of why you get that nicer feeling working with MoI, I was able to "start over from scratch" and fix all kinds of underlying issues.

I originally designed Rhino to run on a Pentium 90 (that's 90 Megahertz!) system with only a wireframe working display. There are still a lot of holdovers in it from that time.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3113.13 In reply to 3113.12 
What was the first generation CAD? ;)
And the 4 th CAD will...? :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3113.14 In reply to 3113.13 
Hi Pilou,

> What was the first generation CAD? ;)

First generation was a simple mesh based modeling program called Sculptura.

> And the 4 nd will...? :)

Not sure if I would ever have enough energy to start all over again... ;)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3113.15 In reply to 3113.14 
THX for these precisions!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3113.16 In reply to 3113.14 
> Not sure if I would ever have enough energy to start all over again... ;)

Lack of energy does not appears to trouble you at all!!

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3113.17 In reply to 3113.14 
> Not sure if I would ever have enough energy to start all over again...

Phfft, thats just 'newborn baby in the house' influenced talk. I happen to be in the same boat and know just how you feel! ;-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3113.18 In reply to 3113.17 
Congratulations Nick!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options