Newbie question - Rail Revolve for curved-wall cuboid

Next
Hi,

Very new to 3D and just starting out with MOI.

As per the subject I am wanting to draft a box with curved walls. I thought of using Extrude but then the side-walls will not be curved.

I decided to use a Rail Revolve, with this method creating the attached. I am however surprised at the resulting lines throughout the object. Is this indicating irregularities of the surfaces or merely depicting the object in 3D?

Final aim is to 3D print the resulting box via the STL format.

Many thanks,
Brendan.

MOI is brilliant by the way, very intuitive!
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3109.2 In reply to 3109.1 
Hi Argo,
Try without having the profile go into the revolve rail. More like this.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
< Is this indicating irregularities of the surfaces or merely depicting the object in 3D?
No it's just like constructions lines of Nurbs process surfacing
This diseapears when you make a rendering ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3109.4 In reply to 3109.1 
Hi Brendan,

> Is this indicating irregularities of the surfaces or merely depicting the object in 3D?

Well, it's not necessarily an error - what it is showing you are the edges of the result surfaces where they join to the adjacent surfaces.

In this case it is a result of having a rail curve that is a multi-segment curve. Several surfacing operations like Rail revolve and Extrude, will tend to generate one surface output piece for every segment of the input curves.

You'll be able to see the segmented nature of the rail if you use Edit/Separate on it, that will break it into individual curves for each of its component segments.

You can fuse segments of a curve together by turning on control points and selecting the point where they touch and deleting it - if you do that to some pieces of your rail curve you will then get less surfaces generated and have fewer edges in the result.

But having many edges is not necessarily an automatically bad thing, it just means you have a model made up of many surfaces that touch at common edges. It does not tend to be very good to have really thin slivery bits though, you may want to merge some segments together to simplify the rail structure a bit for that.

But looking at your shape, I think the other way that Burr shows for making a sweep around the outside area rather than doing the whole thing as a revolve is probably better for that particular shape.

Your shape is not really very "radial" in nature, because the curved parts are more at the perimeter of the shape rather than throughout it like a sphere or lathed thing (which would be more "rail revolve-ish").

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thank you all for your helpful posts, I'll try the suggestions and report back. Cheers.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3109.6 In reply to 3109.5 
I used sweep.

Starting to get the hang of it all. Occasionally I struggle with something very simple only to find the answer is obvious (eg: double-click "Top" view to go to "Bottom" - duh!!).

Here is where I'm at so far in my learning-project:

Great fun!
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3109.7 In reply to 3109.6 
It looks like you're making great progress!

It will start to get easier as you get more accustomed to stuff...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All