Stretching an object

Next
I have an object the is composed of several separate individual objects that all end on the same plane. As I have created them, I have made them too short. Is there a way to extend or stretch them all to be longer? I'm including a drawing which I hope will make the situation more clear.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3090.2 In reply to 3090.1 
Hi Mark, you can use Transfom / Scale / Scale 1D to stretch a model to be scaled in one direction only.

But be aware that if you have something like a circular hole, it will also get stretched in that same direction and become an elliptical hole.

If you want to lengthen something without causing any deformation to existing pieces, then usually for that you will just build an extension and use Boolean Union to attach the extension to the main piece.

So for example on your piece here if you want this to be taller:

You can select that face, and run Extrude on it to punch it out into a new solid like this:

Now Union those pieces together.

Does that do what you need?

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3090.3 In reply to 3090.2 
Micheal,
The trouble is that there are multiple things that I want to stretch (extrude) at the same time, so there are multiple surfaces that need to be selected at once. In the jpg that I've included I've tried to circle all of the surfaces to illustrate. I've never been able to get them all selected at once so I could extend that whole thing. See if you can tell me how to extend that table base with the supporting 2x4's underneath and make them all longer.

Thanks,
Mark

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3090.4 In reply to 3090.3 
Hey Mark

Select all things that you want stretch. Go 2 scale1D and you are finish.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Sale 1D: that works only for simple situation, for other you must trim / strech / and past
See this post ;)
http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2019.3 scroll the page!!!

EDITED: 13 Nov 2009 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3090.6 In reply to 3090.3 
Hi Mark,

> The trouble is that there are multiple things that I want to stretch (extrude)
> at the same time, so there are multiple surfaces that need to be
> selected at once.

Well, it isn't necessary to select them all at the same time, just select them one at a time if that is easier for you to select.

One note - to select faces you usually need to zoom in a ways so that you can grab a piece of the face that is not nearby any edge, because edges get precedence and if you click nearby an edge the edge will get selected rather than a face.

But just go one by one and extrude each one by either the same distance, or you can also use the mouse to snap the extrusion point to the end of the first one you did to get them all the same distance.

Is there some special reason why you have to do them all at once rather than one at a time?

But also in this particular case, it looks like the pieces that you want to stretch are simple boards that do not have any holes in them, is that correct?

In that case you don't have to build extrusions, you can use Scale1D, or even more simply just use the edit frame in the Top view, like this:

So note there that after selecting the parts to stretch (which you can do with one right-to-left window selection) I then clicked one time on the grip to switch the scaling origin from the "scale from center" mode, to the "scale from corner" mode, if you look at the scale origin marker you can see it change after I clicked there. Then just grab the grip and drag it in the direction you want to stretch.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All