portable digital sketchpad? the contenders...

Next
Hello All,

I've been a rhino user for years, and have loosely followed development of MOI since it was first announced. I don't have a wacom pad and haven't been able to justify a MOI purchase yet, so I don't know much about the program.

What I'm starting to do is look into the possibility of taking a small, highly portable windows 7 tablet and using it (possibly) with MOI to have an always handy pen input 3D sketchpad. I would use this to draw field conditions in my day job as an architect (rather than sketching on paper and taking it back to the office to daft), as well as a looser putting down of ideas for everything from custom furniture to light fixtures. Originally I thought I'd just wait for the apple tablet, but since it looks like that's more like a big iphone/ebook reader, I'm looking at other options.

Has anyone put MOI on such a tablet? I'd appreciate if anyone could offer input on performance/usability/etc. Below is a list of devices and pros/cons I've come up with so far.

Archos 9
Pro: small, light, price
Con: limited specs, win7 starter, touchscreen looks like it's not good enough for drawing

EviGroup Pad
Pro: decent specs, ram and HD are upgradeable, seemingly nice screen input
Con: size, price, limited production from a smaller company that's across an ocean if something goes wrong.

Lbook T9.
Pro: Price, ?
con: not out till march.

Others?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3083.2 In reply to 3083.1 
Hi manamana, one thing to note is that MoI does not actually require a tablet to run, and in fact I think that the majority of MoI users actually just use it on a normal desktop PC with a mouse and not actually on a tablet at all.

But MoI's UI is set up to be "tablet friendly" so that it works well on a tablet and avoids things that can often cause problems when using a tablet (like needing to always touch the keyboard all the time, etc...)

One thing to be aware of is that in the past these kinds of light portable tablet machines have not had very much capability in 3D display hardware on them.

So one of the main things you will want to know about is what kind of 3D graphics chipset is being used.

It looks like many of the newest generation of these slate tablets may have Intel GMA 500 graphics on them. That's way on the low end of the scale in 3D hardware power but it's actually probably a good step up from earlier generations. It will still limit things to somewhat less complex projects though probably. But MoI will actually run on that chipset.

If it says it has something like SiS or S3 graphics, then I'd be a bit more worried about the graphics support, those are just less "mainstream".

The other thing is you'll probably need at least 1024x600 resolution to be able to run things well, but that looks like it is pretty much the standard for these new devices.

MoI has the ability to scale all of its UI up or down by a slider in the Options dialog, which can come in handy for adjusting it to fit smaller screens like this.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hi manamana,

Please take a look:
Packard Bell Butterfly Touch (Acer Aspire Timeline 1820P: 11.6” multi-touch display)

EDITED: 11 Nov 2009 by RALF-S

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All