Help with model

Next
Hello all,
I was wondering if someone could give me advice on how to best approach this problem I am having. I have created a propeller blade but the end is flat and I would like to "cap" it with a rounded surface.

I have attached two images. One showing the open end of the model and the other shows what I want to do to close it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I also attached the model itself if anyone needs it.

Thanks
Richard

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next

Yeah! I've found myself in this situation on more than one occasion. I suppose ideally, we should take the ends into account when creating the profiles for sweeping or lofting. But you're right, it does seem natural to not create the full profile and assume that there'll be a way to cap it with a curve later. I've not found that way yet.

Anybody?

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
305.3 In reply to 305.1 
Yeah, this can be a tough one. Here is one method. To get this, I drew a curve in the top view like your dashed line, and then went to the front view and rotated and scaled it into place. Then I used Edit/Trim with "Add trim points" to split the curve into 2 pieces. That gives you something like this:

Now you can use those two pieces as 2 rails for a sweep. Select the end edge curve of the propeller, run Construct/Sweep, and then pick the 2 pieces for rails. That will get you this:

It's not perfect because it is not entirely smooth with the propeller. You can probably get it a bit closer if you tweak the shape of that curve a bit. Eventually there will be some additional tools that will help make surfaces like this nice and smooth with each other, but those are not ready yet, although sometimes you can cut objects back and use Blend, but it is a bit unreliable now.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hey, thanks to this topic I discovered what the "add trim point" function is used for ! :-)
Interesting information...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

Michael you are a fantastic person! Thank you !!!
I've uploaded the finished propeller if anyone wants to use it as well as an image of the finished prop.

EDITED: 14 Jan 2007 by RUSIRIUS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
305.6 In reply to 305.5 
Added to the Special Thread gallery :)
  Reply Reply More Options