V2 beta Oct-19-2009 available now
 1-20  21-40  41-57

Previous
Next
3000.41 In reply to 3000.39 
Hello,

My mistake, you are correct. In the first example model it is actually blank since all the edges are accounted for already. Perhaps a better model pic to illustrate how the 3D option behaves:

EDITED: 21 Oct 2009 by OSTEXO

Image Attachments:
Size: 47.3 KB, Downloaded: 4 times, Dimensions: 353x321px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.42 In reply to 3000.41 
Almost forget, thanks a lot for the image background enhancements ! I can just setup my background without having to pre-build geomtery as snapping helper ! Great !!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.43 In reply to 3000.1 
Here's the script copier utility for this new Oct-19-2009 beta release.

You can download and run this utility which will copy over any custom plug-in commands that you may have added in MoI v1 over to the new v2 beta's install folder.

It's just a shortcut for copying files from the v1 \commands sub-folder to the new \commands sub-folder.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.44 In reply to 3000.1 
Hi Michael,

quote:

Updated style inheritance for Booleans and Join – the object that was selected first will be used to set the properties on the new combined parent object. So for example if you have a red object and a blue object and you want to Boolean Union them together, select the one that you want to be dominant first. The name on the combined object will come from the dominant/first selected input and also the parent object style which is used in some cases for style assignment with newly created faces such as fillets.

>>the object that was selected first will be used to set the properties on the new combined parent object.

Does _the properties_ mean also the Style? E.g. I have two spheres with different styles (blue and red) assigned to them. Now I run boolean union command and select blue sphere first, then red. The result is a blob with different styles of faces while I expected a blue blob.
Note that for curves (boolean union, join) it works like expected.

Also I think that style assignment doesn't work properly with setting:
[Styles]
GeneratedObjectsInheritStyle=n

In case of booleaning solids (without order, just window selection) or joining surfaces or using Planar command to cap a hole it doesn't apply the active style to generated objects, it still applies the style of "parent" object or leaves a sub-object style. This setting seems to be linked only with curve input object(?)

On the other hand, with setting:
[Styles]
GeneratedObjectsInheritStyle=y
DisableSubObjectStyles=n

if you extrude two touching curves with different styles you get a polysurface with the same style of faces!

Petr
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.45 In reply to 3000.43 
Thanks so much for the scriptcopier with every release! One less frustration in life. ;-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.46 In reply to 3000.44 
Hi Petr,

> Does _the properties_ mean also the Style?

Yes, but it's referring to the style of the parent object for that case, which you will not actually see come into effect until you do something like a fillet afterwards.

> E.g. I have two spheres with different styles (blue and red)
> assigned to them. Now I run boolean union command and
> select blue sphere first, then red. The result is a blob with
> different styles of faces while I expected a blue blob.

Actually the combined blue + red blob is the intended result there, unless you have set DisableSubObjectStyles=y in moi.ini .

With DisableSubObjectStyles=n (which is the default), it is intended that faces inherit the same styles as their original inputs, like any piece that comes as a cut off piece from a blue face will have style=blue in the combined object. When this is the case, when you selected the blue sphere first that does not mean that all faces will shift to become blue in the result, it means that just the parent object's style (which you do not directly see on the screen) will be set to blue.

That parent style though can come through when you apply a fillet.

So for example if you select the blue sphere first and then apply a fillet you get this result (newly created fillet face is blue):

If you select the red sphere first and then apply a fillet you will get this result (newly created fillet face is red):

But if you want to get the result that you were expecting where all the faces converted over to have the same style as the first selected one, that is possible by setting:
[Styles]
DisableSubObjectStyles=y

> Also I think that style assignment doesn't work properly with setting:
> [Styles]
> GeneratedObjectsInheritStyle=n

This only comes into play when there are completely brand new entire objects generated from input curves, things like extrude, sweep, etc...

It is not used for situations where pieces of previously existing geometry are directly a part of the result object like with booleans or join for example.

I will take a look at Planar/Cap though, it does not seem to be working as expected but the booleans and join seem to be.

> if you extrude two touching curves with different styles you
> get a polysurface with the same style of faces!

Yeah, I guess that is a bug - the resulting extrusion will only use a style from one of the input objects that make up the result brep, it will use the one that happened to be first in the list of curves to process for that case.

Unfortunately that is probably not going to be a bug that gets fixed because to fix it would mean rewriting the geometry library's extrusion function to maintain a more granular relationship between individual curve segments and the faces that they generate.

In practice it doesn't seem to likely that will be a major issue that is run into that often though.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.47 In reply to 3000.44 
Hi Petr, there was a bug in styles handling which could easily be run into with the Planar command when capping holes.

If the new capped face was only surrounded by a single neighboring face (like when capping a cylinder hole for example), that would not take on the neighboring face's style like it was supposed to.

You don't really run into that with filleting, since a fillet goes between 2 other faces, but you could run into it pretty easily with Planar for end caps.

That's fixed up for the next beta.

I'll see if I can make a bit clearer description for you about how the style assignment works for new faces like with Fillet, it is based on some of the previous discussion here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2843.37

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.48 In reply to 3000.44 
Hi Petr, here is a bit more description on how the style assignment for new faces is supposed to work. This is for cases like with Fillet where there is an already existing object that is being modified with new pieces getting created inside of it.

Say we have a shape like this which is 1 solid but is colored with 2 different styles on different faces:

Now say you select these edges and Fillet:

If the new fillet pieces are surrounded on all sides by faces which all have the same style, then the fillets will take on that style as well, like this:

So that makes things like fillets try to adapt themselves to whatever styles are predominant in a particular localized area of your model.

If the new faces are surrounded by multiple different styles instead of one consistent one, then in that case it will use the parent object's style for the new faces. That's the one that will get set by the first selected object when you do a boolean, or also you can set it manually by holding down shift when clicking on a style swatch with the solid selected.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.49 In reply to 3000.48 
Hi Michael,

>>If the new faces are surrounded by multiple different styles instead of one
>>consistent one, then in that case it will use the parent object's style for the new faces.

So parent object style in this case is only somewhat like "implicit flag" which say "apply this style in a particular cases of my subsequent modification".

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.50 In reply to 3000.49 
Hi Petr,

> So parent object style in this case is only somewhat
> like "implicit flag" which say "apply this style in a
> particular cases of my subsequent modification".

Yup, that sounds like a good description.

Kind of like the "default style for this object" to be used in ambiguous cases in further edits.

It's the style that is assigned to the parent brep object which is kind of like the container object for all the faces and edges of a solid.

So in addition to the other ways for how it gets set that I mentioned before (like first selected object in a boolean or holding shift when clicking a style swatch), if you just simply select a solid with 1 click so it has "whole object" selection, when you then set a style at that point it will set the style on the parent object and all sub-objects all together to the same style. So most of the time that will probably be the way that it gets set initially.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.51 In reply to 3000.49 
Hi Petr, so one other note - trying to do something with the active style for these situations doesn't really work very well.

For example imagine if all new faces that got added to a brep just used the active style, that would mean if you had something like this:

Then if you selected all 3 of those at once and ran Fillet, it just is weird to apply one single style to all the new fillet pieces because there isn't only one that will match each object well.

It would end up with things like this:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.52 In reply to 3000.50 
Hi Michael,

Also for the next beta if you hold down shift+control when clicking on a style swatch in the scene browser, it will not modify any hide or lock state of the objects.

It means this will be another case when the parent style is changing somehow unintentionally? But I think it will be ok.

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.53 In reply to 3000.52 
Hi Petr,

> It means this will be another case when the parent style
> is changing somehow unintentionally? But I think it will
> be ok.

Actually that shift+control should not make any difference for whether the parent object style will change or not.

The parent object will get set if you had a solid that had "whole object selection" on it (selected by the first single click before any drill-down), whether you had shift+control down or nothing down.

The other special "shift to set parent object only" only applies if you have shift all by itself down and not also control along with it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.54 In reply to 3000.53 
Hi Michael,

hehe... I'm sorry about it... I overlooked that Ctrl (control) part of that! And now I see that Shift+Ctrl+click on swatch to change the style without changing locked/hidden state works already in current beta :)

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.55 In reply to 3000.51 
Hi Michael,

Okay. So generally speaking, with this setting:
[Styles]
GeneratedObjectsInheritStyle=n

it will apply the _active style_ only in case of creating new object from curve(s) using command like Extrude, Sweep or Loft and not to apply in other cases like mirroring, rotating with copy, or adding sub-object part to the existing brep.

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.56 In reply to 3000.55 
Hi Petr,

quote:
it will apply the _active style_ only in case of creating new object from curve(s) using command like Extrude, Sweep or Loft and not to apply in other cases like mirroring, rotating with copy, or adding sub-object part to the existing brep.

Yup that is the idea.

The way it actually works is that there are some different categories for how the output of commands relate to the inputs.

The current categories are:

Relation_Identity
Relation_Copy
Relation_InputKeep
Relation_InputReplace

Relation_Identity is for things like the Move command where the output object is considered to be a new version of the input object and replaces it. Currently this is the kind that will trigger a history update.

Relation_Copy is for things like mirroring, or rotate with copy, stuff that produces a copy of the input object but does not replace it.

Relation_InputKeep is when the input objects were used to create the output objects but the inputs are still kept in place. Things like Extrude and Loft are categorized under here. This is the one that is affected by GeneratedObjectsInheritStyle=x, for whether the output objects will try to get styles transferred to them from the inputs, or whether the output objects will get the active style applied to them more like how drawn objects work.

Relation_InputReplace is when the input objects were used to create the output objects and then the inputs are removed. Things like boolean difference are under this category.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
>Updated icon loading to make it easier to override the button icons that come from resources...

Super thank you Michael...nice work over all.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-57