1-20  21-40  41-57

Previous
Next
3000.21 In reply to 3000.17 
Hi PaQ,

> Yes I get the illustrator stuff, but I'm sure I can use it for
> other stuffs, like a quick way to add sci-fi details using
> silhouette as sweep rails etc ;)

Yeah the main purpose is Illustrator export, but maybe it could come in handy for generating a bunch of curves along a surface for other purposes.

The curves can tend to be somewhat chaotic in their actual 3D shape though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.22 In reply to 3000.19 
Hi Michael,

I guess I did not understand it was meant to complement the AI export mechanism results.
I think I get it now, I will try this!

Maybe it could have been included directly in the AI Export command when solids are selected?

Very cool to have the camera angle adjustment in perspective!!

Marc

EDITED: 20 Oct 2009 by TELLIER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.23 In reply to 3000.22 
Hi Marc,

> Maybe it could have been automatically included directly
> in the AI Export command when solids are selected?

I've thought some about that, but there are a few complications.

First of all, silhouette generation on a complex model can be a somewhat time consuming process so it needs to be able to be canceled. Things that are like that tend to be more technically difficult for me to incorporate into the saving mechanism rather than having it as a separate command. So it would take me additional development time to make that happen.

Also there are actually some other uses for silhouette generation such as generating parting lines for mold making.

Finally, I'm still just not completely sure yet about how the UI for a full hidden line generation should be structured. I have some idea that there probably needs to be a process where you generate a line drawing and get to see it and possibly edit it in a special 2D "printed page" type display rather than only having it baked directly in to AI export.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.24 In reply to 3000.22 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the new beta!

>V2 is very close to being wrapped up, but I still have a little bit
>of work left for Sweep (for mitered corners) and probably Groups
>before it is all ready so there will still be at least one more beta
>to come after this one.

This is the bit that really interests me. Looking forward to groups if you can get it done.

---
Mark
http://www.homepages.ihug.com.au/~mabrown/index.html

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.25 In reply to 3000.23 
Hi Michael,

Can't wait to give this beta a whirl!

> Also there are actually some other
> uses for silhouette generation such
> as generating parting lines for mold making.

Exactly what we use it for in our industry, maybe I could post an example.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.26 In reply to 3000.22 
Hi Marc,

> Very cool to have the camera angle adjustment in perspective!!

I'm glad you like it!

Also one additional note on this - if you want to change the default field of view angle that is used for startup you can do that by setting up a file that has the view how you want in it and then specifying that file as the startup template under Options > General > Template file.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.27 In reply to 3000.26 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the silhouette clarification !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

With this last update you have shaved several days off my current quick start guide project with the inclusion of the silhouette command, which is already paying off big after a few tests. Once I figure out how to fix my camera in one spot and at the proper angle I'll be set. Is it me or did you also optimize the overall speed of MoI in this last update? It could also be that I'm geeking out a bit over all the time I'm saving by being able to go from MoI to AI with no intermediate. Thanks again for the great update.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.29 In reply to 3000.28 
Hi OSTexo, that's great news, I'm really glad that Silhouette will be useful for your illustration work!

I was hoping to give a boost in that area with something sooner rather than only waiting to have a full blown hidden line system.

> Is it me or did you also optimize the overall
> speed of MoI in this last update?

Probably just enthusiasm at having silhouettes now... :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.30 In reply to 3000.29 
Hello,

Quick Test SMA-Male:

Modeled in MoI with plan reference, simplified (ex. not true screw thread), silhouette command, 15 minute cleanup in CDX3, saved as CDR and GIF for posting. One hour time savings alone over the conventional way, not to mention vastly superior point and curve output, easier cleanup, no smoothing required.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.31 In reply to 3000.30 
Hi OSTexo, that is awesome!

In MoI v3 I would like to make an attack on that 15 minute cleanup step as well!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Even Quicker Test GSM Low Gain Antenna:

I took measurements from an actual antenna using calipers, modeled it in MoI. I was looking for problems with the silhouette in the curved parts at the base of the antenna and around the input of the cable to the base. Passed with flying colors, I can't tell you how much tweaking time this new feature has saved me on this part in particular.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Test Widget 001:

I've found MoI is exceptionally detailed in the silhouette / AI export command and will render absolutely every curve. When cleaning up it might be helpful to greatly increase the size of the image while decreasing the size of the outline to a hair to clean up all the stray lines that need to be removed. Two minute model, 10 minute cleanup.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.34 In reply to 3000.16 
Hi Michael,

>>Right now the Silhouette command does not create duplicates of edges that are silhouettes

Ok. That's true, but only with some View option. For instance, it produces a couple of "duplicated curves" on edges of simple box in case of View:Top option. Yes, the curves are actually in the different height, but only until exporting to AI...

>>The way AI export works, is it exports all curves and edges in the model as curves in the flattened AI file.

When using Export command? Nope. You have to use SaveAs command to export all curves and edges to AI. But I think the natural way to save only a part of object (e.g. outline) is using Export command and not SaveAs one. Especially, when there are selected curves after finishing Silhouette command and you "can't" manipulate the viewport without destroying the proper silhouette.

>>it would make it pretty easy to get duplicate curves if you just did a SaveAs to AI format.

Yes. On the other hand it is pretty easy to get "no" curves if you just do an Export to AI format.

>>I can probably put in an option for whether to duplicate edges that are silhouettes or not though

I guess it would be possible to just select all edges that are silhouettes and add them to the selection after Silhouette command finishes. After that it would be clear what curve/edge is intended to be exported to the AI file (and there will be no duplicated curve objects).

Well, I have rarely been satisfied with result of Silhouette command in Rhino as well. Maybe I have never fully understood the essential difference among the meaning of words: outline, silhouette, contour or boundary when talking about CG :)

I would expect these results doing silhouette:

...and optionally with hidden line detection (different line style or color or Style) in the future.

Petr
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 12.1 KB, Downloaded: 2 times, Dimensions: 446x438px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.35 In reply to 3000.34 
Hi Petr,

> For instance, it produces a couple of "duplicated curves"
> on edges of simple box in case of View:Top option. Yes, the
> curves are actually in the different height, but only until
> exporting to AI...

Yeah I saw that in a few cases - it seems to get slightly confused when a plane is exactly edge-on to an ortho view direction and ends up tracing the edges of those vertical planes as silhouettes.

I could probably screen those out, are they causing you a problem?

> When using Export command?

Sorry, I didn't mean the "Export" command specifically here, I was just referring more to general file I/O meaning writing a file out from MoI.

> Yes. On the other hand it is pretty easy to get "no" curves
> if you just do an Export to AI format.

Sorry, I'm not following this one - if you have nothing selected when you do an Export, it will prompt you to select objects before continuing.

> I would expect these results doing silhouette:

Well for example the edge that I've got outlined in red here is not a silhouette because both of the faces connected to it are forward facing.

A silhouette edge would be an edge where it is either connected to only a single face, or when connected to 2 faces one of them is forward facing and the other is backwards facing. That edge above would be a "visible" edge in a hidden-line removal drawing. But doing a full hidden line removal method is a lot more involved and complex than just silhouette generation.

This new Silhouette command just makes silhouettes and does not compute visibility stuff.

This one that you show here:

Is also probably not really feasible for this command, silhouettes are generated more at an individual face level so it does not know how to treat the "most forward" face differently from the "most behind" one like you are showing here. That would again be something that could be done with a much more involved hidden/visible line calculation instead.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

After trying this a few times I haven't seen duplicate edges that are silhouettes. The Export command exports all curves and edges in the model as curves in the AI file for me. Perhaps it is because I have the model selected that I am exporting to AI after running the Silhouette command.

I try to think of it as the model being made of glass, even if I select a Top view I will still see the edges both at the top of the cube as well as the bottom of the cube in your example. That agrees with the results I am getting currently. I am assuming when MoI has hidden line removal what you are suggesting will be the case. Even with the Silhouette command you have to do some cleanup, but for me it is a giant leap forward for illustration purposes.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Perhaps this pic will help:

View from left to right - 3D, Top, Front, Right... at least that is what it looks like to me when I export to AI and peel away the lines.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.38 In reply to 3000.35 
Hi Michael,

>>I could probably screen those out, are they causing you a problem?

Well, most people seem to be satisfied with this new Silhouette command and I will wait until full hidden line removal method will be added to meet my needs (or use Make2D command in Rhino).

>>Sorry, I'm not following this one - if you have nothing selected
>>when you do an Export, it will prompt you to select objects before continuing.

Yes, it is correct. I meant the situation when you run Export command immediately after finishing Silhouette command - there are usually some new curves generated by Silhouette command and so only these selected curves are exported without prompting for picking additional objects.

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3000.39 In reply to 3000.37 
Hi OSTexo, the first image in the row you show

is the result of Silhouette command with option View:3D ? I don't think so. -Petr
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

The silhouette function works fine in conjunction with the ai export, nice clean lines are generated.
This is quite cool for simple models, at least all the information is there in 3d views.

But new users will probably not figure this trick out intuitively, that's why I was inclined to think it should be included in the AI export module.

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-57