Could all of these be done in Moi?
All  1  2-6

Previous
Next
2982.2 In reply to 2982.1 
I would use T-Spline (with Rhino). Look at the gallery from www.tspline.com. T-Spline is a good tool to get perfect blended complex surfaces and the whole shape stays editable.

|Visualisation for Designer and Architects -
|www.simulacrum.de

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2982.3 In reply to 2982.2 
Hi Anna,

I believe we can use MoI to create those bottles.
Just need more times comparing to ( Rhino + Tspline ).

Post your WIP and another MoI user will help you :)

Good Luck !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2982.4 In reply to 2982.1 
Hi Anna, actually for the most part those do not really scream out sub-d to me.

The one in the upper right is basically 3 stacked cylinders...

The one in the upper right has a very symmetrical revolved body. The petal parts at the top are getting more into sub-d territory though.

The heart one on the left seems to be symmetrical and mostly an extruded shape, that should be pretty straightforward in MoI I think.

The one on the right has a symmetrical main body and the petals are do not have very much fine level detail in them so they would be pretty easy to do with things like sweep. You might look at this previous thread to get some ideas:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1401.1

The green and red one is the least symmetrical in its main body, it does not follow a simple pattern to be revolved or extruded. But it still does not have a lot of little tiny details in it, so it still does not really cry out "sub-d".

Looking at it, you can kind of see that it kind of is made up of pieces stuck together - try to model it in that same way by making some independent pieces and then booleaning them together. Here is a quick time lapse of a couple of minutes of work, I started with a sweep at the bottom and then just placed 2 spheres which I squished, then boolean union and fillet:

If you can divide things out into a few predominate sub structures which can be combined together with fillets, then that tends to make it a good candidate for NURBS.

When there gets to be less and less definition of individual pieces within the shape, that's one indication that it is going more into sub-d oriented.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2982.5 In reply to 2982.1 
Hi Anna, I kind of missed this one part of your message:

> and some of my sketches have some relief effect on them.

Trying to do get slightly raised or "bubbly" relief type patterns does not tend to work very well in pure NURBS.

But actually it is quite difficult and time consuming (especially in learning curve time) to do it in sub-d as well though.

Really the best mechanism for doing relief design tends to be one of the displacement brush based modelers like 3D-coat, ZBrush, and mudbox.

It can work well to use MoI in combination with those displacement programs, you use MoI to make the broader base form quickly and then export it into those programs as polygons (using the "divide larger than" option to finely dice up the resulting polygons into small even bits) and then apply the relief details over there.

It also depends on the complexity of the relief pattern though, if it is simple enough you can model it as a separate piece and boolean it in to the main shape in MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Actually the green bottle is not 3 booleaned pieces, but a spiral. The dark green bands are refractions shown from the backside, and the front of the bottle also has very faint creases to complete the spiral path. if you squint your eyes at just the right angle, they become visible... :)

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-6