Better suited gallery
 1-20  21-22

Next
Well, I know I'm new around here, but I just gotta go out on a limb here.

In regards to the gallery on the site, are there any plans on reworking it? Considering that MOI is soly intended for modelling, maybe it would be advantageous to stick with technical views (ie. non-rendered, straight out of MOI shots). Although some of the displayed objects are technically well done, the renders are not doing them justice. This is by no means any attempt to insult anyone's work being displayed in the gallery. I am a noob around here and already love the close contact that this forum and site offers me. It's just...well......some of the examples might better display their technical prowess with just a simple screenshot.

Yes, I know poeple like to see all the pretty colors, but maybe that's better left to the render guru's.

Once again please don't take this as a personal attack on anyone's work.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.2 In reply to 2949.1 
Hi Tree, well the gallery content is made up of images that are submitted by users.

So it's really up to the individual user as far as exactly what they send.

I've done a couple of things to try and encourage users to post those kinds of technical views - one big thing is that each gallery entry can have up to 10 images included underneath it. So with many of them if you click on the thumbnail on the expanded page you can see some additional images like different views and also often times MoI modeling view screenshots as well.

Also on the gallery upload page, it says: "It isn't necessary to only upload rendered images, just modeling screenshots by themselves are great too!".

I don't think it would really work out very well to actually enforce a policy of "no renderings" which is what you seem to be asking about. That would kind of mean just throwing out many submissions and it is nice to have more stuff and more variety in the gallery rather than less entries I think...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ah, so more like an open gallery for the community. I can definately see the appeal to that.

I guess that was just my "artistic eye" going into some form of nerd rage and making me post this in the first place.

Won't happen again :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.4 In reply to 2949.1 
Hi Tree,

>>some of the examples might better display their technical process

I guess you like to see the drawing process from start to end,like a tutorial.
I will keep that in mind the next time.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.5 In reply to 2949.3 
Yor welcome to post something that you have rendered that you create in MoI also (After that post, it should probably be mind blowing!)

Part of the Cad creation process and one of MoI's strong suits is it's ability to create and export geometry that "Renders" well......
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.6 In reply to 2949.5 
Remembered one other note also. THere has been discussion of MoI providing some rendering also in the future. Possibly not full blown, but visualization and modeling aids. Whats in the V2 beta is already pretty cool. It's also not only pretty colors going on there...Renders can proove continuity and curvature that you cant see when drafting things. One also has to notice the logo text thats there with the web site. I think it says "3D Modeling for Designers and Artists".
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.7 In reply to 2949.4 
Not process, but prowess. Referring to the skill. I was just trying to emphasize that some of the renders aren't doing the work justice, because of the exact opposite of what BurrMan mentioned in this thread. It's hiding the form and structure to an extent that's moreso detrimental to the work.

Although that's aloso a good idea maybe? The drawing process would also be very intersting to see. Like a few screen grabs during the making of a piece.

Actually, the only reason I originally began this thread was with prospective MOI users in mind. Those who don't yet know much about MOI and are using the gallery as a showcase of what it can do.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.8 In reply to 2949.5 
Lol, this thread was by no means a way for me to stroke my own epeen. I am personally not a render guru. Moreso a generalist.

But I will be glad to post some stuff as soon as I get the opportunity. I've only had the chance to do some real work with MOI over the weekend, as I just got MOI last Friday. Although since it's work for a client, I might not be able to post it anyway :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.9 In reply to 2949.8 
In my opinion gallery it's ok like that.
Maybe when Michael would like to modified the website, the best models (without render) can be shown in the home page with a sort of slideshow (like in almost all render engine website) in order to shown the real power of Moi (without "external help).
There are a lot of really good models that deserve more visibility (spidieBot by dave davidson, edirol By DesuDeus, Focus WRC By Marco Loisi, FERRARI 599GTB By lyes, Hydraulic Connector By Grendel, deep down below By Dirk Vincenz, NRX-GS & NandP Robot By PaQ, Patient Room By Ray Sun,Olympus 790SW By Erwan Loison ........). Obviously the list is not complete at all... just personal feeling ;-)

My 2 cents...

EDITED: 28 Sep 2009 by FALCON76

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.10 In reply to 2949.9 
Agreed falcon76,

That's similar to what I had in mind. The usual galleries seen on most render engine sites or even most 3D apps for that matter tend to "cherry pick" a bit. The community gallery is very important for the cummunity to see and learn. Although most "main" galleries tend to show the best of the best. For obvious reasons of course (to sell a product). In the end, this is all trivial for those who know/use MOI as we are akin to the power it allows us. But....not everyone uses/knows MOI.......yet :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.11 In reply to 2949.10 
Something very appealing to me, is that I can make a "Pumpkin", and post it in the gallery as work I've done! Proudly.

I wouldnt/dont participate in forums and settings where "The Guru's" are worshiped. These settings often overlook whats most important in any given model, because it doesnt have the thing that a small group has determined is "guru worthy".

EDITED: 28 Sep 2009 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.12 In reply to 2949.11 
For instance,
What do you think is most important about this gallery entry?

http://moi3d.com/gallery/viewitem.php?id=224

Please comment.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.13 In reply to 2949.9 
At some point I'm probably going to separate the gallery out into a few different categories like "Industrial design", "Jewelry", "Vehicles", etc...

Probably at that point some of the most refined entries will get placed at the top of their categories.

But even at that point, I still want to have a section that holds just all new entries.

I actually view it as a positive thing that there are a wide variety of skill levels represented in the gallery - having less advanced stuff in the gallery helps to showcase that you can get stuff done with MoI even if you are not an expert. Being easy to use and friendly to beginners is one of the cool aspects about MoI in general.

Then also having advanced and more refined things in the gallery helps to show that it is not limited to only be of use to beginners as well.

Just like there is a spectrum of people using MoI, it is nice to have a spectrum of stuff in the gallery.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.14 In reply to 2949.13 
Also it's not even necessarily about "Novice" and "Advanced"...

One of the ideas behind MoI is to try and make it really quick and easy to get simple models done...

So it's kind of nice to have that aspect displayed in the gallery as well, with some simple things in there which help to show what you can do in just a few minutes.

Just because someone is an advanced user does not really mean that they never need to do any simple models!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.15 In reply to 2949.14 
>>>>One of the ideas behind MoI is to try and make it really quick and easy to get simple models done...>>>

Remembering the sketchup showdown! MoI with a solid defeat! :O
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
O.K., O.K, I digress. It makes no sense to drag this thread on as things tend to get missinterpreted and/or taken out of context. Which is of course the natural way of any internet forum where people aren't on a personal level (ie. face to face).

Burr......in response to the pumpkin model. I assume you're trying to convey the idea of complexity in simplicity. Meaning, some of the hardest things to model, are objects that "seem" very simple. But even these are made very easy with MOI. But, that wasn't the point of this topic.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.17 In reply to 2949.16 
Hi Tree,
Actually my intent on the last two contributions I've made to the gallery is that they ARE MoI model screen captures! No contributions have come in latley that reflect MoI's new lighting and styles, so I posted a couple.

I made a lizard with a 3 minute scene render, and referenced that the lizard was made in the forum in direct relation to a thread. (In retrospect, I should have posted the link to the thread where one can see the model if one wants). I thought it could interest someone new to look further into MoI. Just do a forum search for "Lizard".

I guess where the thread goes though is that there are all kinds of people in the world, and the fact that Michael lets ME post a pumpkin, I think is a very powerful statement.

I took exception to the inference that this be limited in some way.

But it's not personal, and I look forward to participating with you in the forum more. :O

Talk later,
Burr

EDITED: 28 Sep 2009 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
It's all good. We're here to learn and see all the things that the MOI community has to offer. I'm loving it already.

I'm also looking forward to sharing my stuff. Hopefully I can put up my first few pieces soon.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
btw BurrMan,

you happen to have a link to that sketchup / MOI showdown? I would like to read/see that.

Thx
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2949.20 In reply to 2949.19 
Here i what I think was the final straw. You'll have to browse a long thread to get the jist of it.

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1978.65

[EDIT]
Just did a quick review myself and think PAQ came in later with 20 seconds! quite amazing.

EDITED: 29 Sep 2009 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-22