Dumbass N00b question

Next
Hi. I'm new to this modeling stuff, but MOI seems to be far more n00b friendly than other soft I've looked at.
What I'm trying to do is create 3d models like simplified fish, lizards, flowers etc, to use in Vectric Cut3d cnc
software. This software will import STL, 3DS, and OBJ, all of which MOI can create.
I've been trying to model a simple lizard using an image as a guide to create the 2d outline in MOI. But turning this
into a 3d model has got me stumped. Ive watched the tutorials, which are a great help, but none seem to tackle
this kind of model.
I've tried Boolean intersection of the 2d side and top profiles, but the result is not pretty. Has anybody got any suggestions?
Thanks for any help.
N00b.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2892.2 In reply to 2892.1 
I would think that the six legged Pod Video would be a great Lizard creation tutorial. But it depends on what kind of lizard you are expecting to get. Super organic stuff is better done with a poly modeler, but the legs on the six legged Pod look kindof Geckoish to me :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2892.3 In reply to 2892.2 
Here's a file you can look at. I swept the oval with the curve using "Pointy End" parameter.

To make the head, I made a sphere and then "Show Points" and squished it down. Added sphere eyes. Boolean them together and fillet.

Next do legs, then feet, then toes, then suction cups. May want to cut out a mouth and put a fly catching glue tongue.

The head, better illustrated in the pod video I mentioned, would probably be better modeled with a revolve/rail revolve setup as this would be better geometry for future operations. YOu kindof want to try to stay away from point squishing as a method. I just did it because it was a faster result for the demo. If I was going to follow through with the mouth and stuff, I would havce been more carefull with the head creation.

I thought it could end up looking like a lizard. Either that or I may be expecting! :o

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2892.4 In reply to 2892.1 
Do you have any kind of images you could show of what your desired output would look like?

My guess from your description though is that you're probably trying to create what is called a "two and a half-d" type design which is like a 2D drawing that has kind of bubbly raised areas in it, like a bas-relief type of thing, is that correct?

MoI is not really oriented towards that kind of modeling, there are some other programs out there that are much more focused on that kind of shape that would probably be easier. But there is a free program called ZSurf that you can use in combination with MoI though to help create those kinds of designs.

Here are some previous discussion threads about that kind of modeling:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2423.1
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2799.8
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2640.1

Do any of those discussions apply to the kind of thing you are trying to do?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2892.5 In reply to 2892.1 
Hi Bonehead,

I think you'll find the "ideal CAD" program to create those kind images would be ArtCAM Pro, but it comes at a very high cost!
I have an earlier version of ArtCAM JewelSmith & one of the training models is of a lizard/gecko, along with flowers, etc.

Your next best option might be to look at Silo...reason being is that some of those very models at VectorArt3D were made with Silo.
Here's a link to the Silo Forum...read the whole thread to understand how he's doing it.

http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8869

Of course all of this will depend on what other types of models you plan to make in the future?
Having both MoI & Silo to cover all manner of possible modeling options may be a better choice in the end.

Hope this helps, Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2892.6 In reply to 2892.3 
Hey Burr,

> Here's a file you can look at. I swept the oval with the curve using "Pointy End" parameter.

I've got a few million of those that I can reference from.........mmm, the only thing I need now is a microscope :o

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hey, thank you all for your advice. Zsurf is pretty spify!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2892.8 In reply to 2892.7 
My kid pulled his back feet off!

I'll see if I can find them later.

I think Michael sells short sometimes when the answer might be "practice a bit" too.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All