3DS problems

Next

When I import a 3ds file from Moi to Max I can't see all the views. I just have a perspective view but Top,Front and Left are empty... Even when I use "Zoom Extents All" I see nothing.
Also, when I measure the object, everything is OK. This is not a normal problem because even if I make them all Top views I see the model in only one of them, the one that was perspective at first.
I know this sounds very strange, but I tested it again and have the same problem. Just an array 3X3X3 of small boxes, export to 3ds, import to MAX.

EDITED: 9 Jan 2007 by JTB

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
288.2 In reply to 288.1 
Hi JTB - well this sounds like an odd problem.

I don't have Max over here, so it will be a bit tricky for me to track down what is happening.

If you create a box inside of Max and export it to .3ds, does that work correctly when you read it back in?

If it does, could you please post here the .3ds file exported from Max which does work, and also the .3ds file from Moi that doesn't work? I will then try to compare them and try to see what Max doesn't like about the MoI file.

Maybe something with your video card is behaving oddly, it might be a good idea to reboot your machine and try it again.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
288.3 In reply to 288.2 
Michael, I send you a ZIP containing the 3dm file, the 3ds from Moi, a 3ds from Max, and 3 screenshots from Max.

EDITED: 31 Jan 2007 by JTB

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
288.4 In reply to 288.3 
I just pulled down the files and tested it myself, no problems here. (3ds max 9 32 bit)
What happens if you scale up the model by 2000% and then zoom extent all again? Maybe it's a near-camera clipping thing...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
288.5 In reply to 288.3 
Is there possibly some kind of clipping plane set up on those views which is causing it not to draw there?

I took a look in the .3ds file structure, and I can't really see anything that should cause this to happen within the file itself, and that .3ds file seems to load normally into Rhino and Cinema4D...

Maybe I will be able to try and download the demo version of 3ds max tomorrow to test it some more.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
288.6 In reply to 288.4 

288.4 In reply to 288.3
I just pulled down the files and tested it myself, no problems here. (3ds max 9 32 bit)
What happens if you scale up the model by 2000% and then zoom extent all again? Maybe it's a near-camera clipping thing...

I did that, no change. However, what I just found out is that pressing middle mouse button and drag (that is the pan command) makes the objects appear. After that, I changed the views from Wireframe to Smooth&Highlights and now the objects are visible.
Well, I still think there is a problem, I will do some more tests
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Can anyone confirm the problems with 3ds from MoI? I don't see my 3ds import to MAX8 in wireframe mode.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All