Previous
Next
2879.21 In reply to 2879.19 
Hi NightCabbage,

> What's Shell?

There's some info in the help file:
http://moi3d.com/1.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#shell

The help file reference index is available here for browsing:
http://moi3d.com/1.0/docs/moi_command_reference.htm, it's a good place to look if you want to get some general info on how a particular command works.

> Ok so I figured that part of my problem was because I wasn't
> using solid objects (for the exhausts?)

Yeah, usually for doing the booleans you will want to be working with solid objects instead of trying to combine a solid with a surface like you had in this case.

Normally if you do a Loft between 2 circles you should get a solid though, unless you turned off the "cap ends" option?

Otherwise, you can select them now and run Construct / Planar to cap the ends off now, or like Burr mentioned use Construct / Shell if you want to thicken the surface into a solid which will be kind of like a hollowed out cone.

> So you boolean intersecting solid objects, and you join touching lines.

Yup!

You can also use join on surfaces as well, if you have 2 surfaces that are touching at a common edge, then join will glue them together and they will then have a joined edge between them.

When you have a set of surfaces that have all edges joined to another edge, then that is what makes a solid.

It can be convenient to work with solids, because the booleans are set up to work on volumes, and determine which pieces to keep and discard based on that.

> Maybe someone could check it out and see if it's done right?

Seems to look all ship-shape to me!

To make a more complex model you just keep doing what you've been doing and adding more and more pieces.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Thank you so much for your patience! :)

(ah, so shell is under offset - cool, I've been looking for a tool that does that!)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-22