Who we are...
All  1-20

Next
Just being curious... Who are you and what is your main interest to a software like MoI?
I'd like to hear your story... I hope this hasn't been mentioned before.

I am an engineer from Greece, I think MoI is the best and simplest so far 3d modeling software for my needs. I need it for special details for my building models because Revit (From Autodesk) handles objects like doors, windows, walls, roofs etc very well but it is not a general modeler. Also for some special projects like stores, office equipment etc. I believe MoI will do the job very well and fast. That's why I would use an app like MoI.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
287.2 In reply to 287.1 
i am a self-taught designer/visualizer working in NY. I started as a delivery boy in my company, then for extra money i began to design models for them and taught myself metalsmith techniques to create the master models for reproduction. I accomplished this by setting up a metal shop in my apartment (much to my landlord's suffering ! ). Later I became head technical director for my company. We work with factories in Europe, Asia, Africa, US to develop our goods. Then i did some freelance designing for a metal/plastic factory in China, and i did all technical diagrams by hand. It was a NIGHTMARE, really impossible to explain complex forms unless i drew many cross-section views all by hand. So i decided it was time to push my company to invest in some 3D software (which i had ZERO experience using any 2D or 3D apps). They resisted quite strongly, so i taught myself to use Rhino/Flamingo demos. After 2 months of "playing" with it, they finally realized the huge benefits of using 3D in our company. Finally, we bought Rhino in June 2005. And here i am now... For my purposes, i see Moi as a perfect complimentary tool for Rhino. The Copy/Paste exchange is just marvelous. By keeping both of them open, i can easily take advantage of the unique strengths of both programs...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

I'm from Belgium and working in the financial sector.
Computer graphics a hobby for me. I came there through my interest for other disciplines like photography, scale models and airbrushing. Huge fan of Fantasy and sci-fi art (Brom, Keith Parkinson, Jim Burns to name just a few).
I discovered 3D with Bryce 10 years ago (and also the fun of web communities with it and other MetaCreations products). I was a user of the public beta of Rhino 1 almost 9 years ago. I felt at ease with it and since then I've been following the evolution of this software but never could afford it. I've been using quite a lot of other products since then but never forgot how easy booleans and fillets were in Rhino.
A post in another forum by Frenchy Pilou (well known in other forums as a "living encyclopedia"...) attracted me here and I'm afraid I'm here to stay, hehe ;-))
So in the future, I will probably use MoI for most of my "hard surface" modeling. Other commercial products I use are Modo, Vue, ZBrush, Hexagon together with some free apps like Blender and Wings3D.

Cya

EDITED: 9 Jan 2007 by SCHBEURD

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
apparently the forum is populated by JTB, Bernard, myself, and a lot of robots? :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I'm Wibble UR12, I build cars for Honda. I was brought into production in 1994. Since that time I've performed flawlessy and <System shutting down>

Error - U132
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
287.6 In reply to 287.5 
:)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
287.7 In reply to 287.5 
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I am gksl4 from Greece, civil engineer and working in road construction. I discovered 3D by chance with SketchUp 3 years ago , Kerkythea then and last August the very promising MoI3D.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
287.9 In reply to 287.8 
Greece! Nice to see you here George.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello all. I'm Richard from the US (Pennsylvania). I'm a mechanical designer by trade but spend my off hours 3d modeling an doing texture work for game mods.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
287.11 In reply to 287.10 
I am an artist/craftsman/designer/educator, chairing the Metals/Jewelry Design Program at Kendall College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids, MI. I have been working with computers since my uncle handed down his TRS*80 Model I when I was a kid, trying to make art by printing in multiple colors on my dot-matrix printer by swapping out the ink ribbons and running through my BASIC programs multiple times with small variations:) But I didn't really get into 3D until I began teaching jewelry full time in 2003; learning and teaching ArtCam and Rhino. I teach CAD/CAM for Metals/Jewelry Design and Digital Fabrication for sculpture, and have setup and manage the Digital Fabrication Lab at Kendall, where we use an Envisiontec Perfactory and Stratasys Dimension RP systems and modelmaster CNC milling machines. Much more, if you are interested, on my/our various websites.

I have been trying out the MOI betas since approx late summer/early Fall 2006 at the suggestion of a colleague James McMurray, formerly of the University of Washington. I am teaching MOI right now to both of my CAD classes as a kind of introduction to Rhino.

_PHIL

www.carrizzi.com
www.digfablab.com
www.cadlaboration.com
jewelry.kcad.edu
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I am a Subsea Engineer for an global oil drilling contractor currently workign on a rotational basis in Nigeria. I started in 3d about four years ago when I picked up a free copy of Realsoft 3d from a Computer Arts magazine on the way to work. I already had Cad experience so it was not to hard, then I transitioned through alot of software(C4D, Max....) until I settled on Eovia products. Carrara has a godd render engine that is simple to use, and Hexagon is a great poly modeler that is probably dead now. I picked up Amapi Pro as well and am waiting for the new version which will let me drop Hexagon. I have just recently started using XSI(5.2) and will start replacing Carrara with that. I like MoI because it is simple and quick, Michael has a big task ahead with regards to adding functionality and not adding clutter.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi,

I am an aeronautical engineer from The Netherlands. I started 3d modelling with bCAD, a russian CAD program that contains a rendering engine. I then started with Blender (starting with version 1.72) and Cinema 4D 6CE (free with a french magazine that I found during a course in Luxembourg). I bought the upgrade from Cinema 4D to 6 plus, so I can make unlimited renders. Sometimes I also use Amapi 6.1, Realsoft 3D and Shade 7LE which I also found with a french magazine.

For some time I experimented with the trial versions of Rhino 3d and Deskartes 3D, and I liked Rhino most. But as 3d modelling is only a hobby I did not consider to buy this program. Something in the area of 100 to 200 Euros is still acceptable (I also spent this type of amount on handbooks of Blender and on my - old - Cinema 4D licence) but I could not justify 750 Euro's for Rhino. Like Maxon they should probably sell older versions cheaper!

The MoI user interface is even better that the Rhino interface. I really have to compliment Michael for that. I don't know why, but I model very fast with this user interface. Perhaps it is the restriction of the number of functions. Rhino can do so much that I get lost. I only do this in my spare time, so I do not have time to understand all these complicated Rhino functions. I have no problem at all with the missing rendering interface. An export to something that can be read by other programs is sufficient.

Yours sincerely,

Ray.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi,
I'm designer/animator working in a Russia.
I like use any light programs for creating models and more powerful software for final result.
For poly/sub-d i use a Modo (from Luxology), for NURBS-modeling i use a MAYA, but it's a big program.
Moi can help me in this moment. Before it light and quick program.
I want see in Moi some interesting tools for me, where i can post about it?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
287.15 In reply to 287.14 
> I want see in Moi some interesting tools for me, where i can post about it?

Go ahead and post anywhere here.. But maybe it is a good idea to start a new thread.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
287.16 In reply to 287.1 

Hi Everyone,

My name is Colin & I'm a Goldsmith/Jeweller in Australia.
Just started learning how to use Rhino (last 2mths) & trying to understand all the different terms that are used??
For a simple Jeweller, it's really a lot to get your head around, before you've made anything!
It was suggested to me to give MoI a try, as it's far easier to learn & simpler to use.
Just started trying out MoI, although I'm not very good, already found that for me, it's much more "Jeweller friendly".
MoI is also helping to give me a better understanding for some of those tools in Rhino.
Also Jesse's Jewellery Tutorials are also a really great help, so "Thank you" to Jesse.

Congratulations to Michael on such a great program.

regards Colin

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
287.17 In reply to 287.16 
I am Matt from Indiana. I work with gages, fixturing and measurement systems for an automotive supplier. I love the MOI GUI. It is awesome! I have used many open CAD and 3D programs like Blender. I have also used Rhino 3D from time to time. By far, this is the easiest nurbs modeler that I have ever used. After using Blender for about 5 years and eventually learning its difficult interface it is nice to jump into a program that is intuitive and easy. Keep up the good work and I look forward to beta testing future releases.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
287.18 In reply to 287.9 
Greek in Greece here too, architect. Haven't used MoI for more than expirimenting with it but I think this latest realease has made me a believer..
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Herodes from Kerkythea site?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
tyglík crucible, melting pot
    A vessel, composed of some very refractory
   substance, as clay, graphite, platinum, and used for
   melting and calcining substances which require a strong
   degree of heat, as metals, ores, etc.

Pigeon Post? Yep! I love series of children's books by Arthur Ransome - especially Pigeon Post. So that's why sweet Czech word 'tyglík'.

I come from Czech Republic. It is landlocked country in Central Europe lies between Germany to the west and Slovakia to the east, Poland to the north and Austria to the south. Between 1918 to 1939 and then between 1945 to 1993 this region was the western part of the former country known as Czechoslovakia.

I have been working for a research institute as a designer/production engineer for three years. I use an exclusive CAD platform for designing stuff - Rhinoceros. It's funny that we obtained Rhino as mere complement within a CAM bundle solution, but apps have been shown up as strong as ox... or rhinoceros?

I always though CAD without possibility of commandline driving wasn't very useful, but MoI have been showing me that I was wrong. Since each MoI's command definition replace several kind-of-object-specific ones, user don't have to chase after toolbar with hundred buttons and can concentrate his effort on form-finding, designing...

Some guy told me that it looked like for kiddies - all stuff are nicely rounded. I guess it's not so bad expression, considering.

So, three cheers for Michael.

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-20