Possible automatic quadmeshing solution for Moi
All  1-8  9-13

Previous
Next
2853.9 In reply to 2853.8 
Hi Micha, no I don't think either of those will help at least not yet.

Those T-splines links seem to be discussing some possibility of working on a mesher at some point in the future and not about one that they currently have, is that correct?

I actually have the nPower mesher available to me, it is included in the Solids++ geometry library that I use. I've tried using the quad meshing part of it but it did not seem to be robust enough for regular use.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2853.10 In reply to 2853.9 
Could be nice to get access to the npower mesher. Maybe you could add the quadmesher for advanced use. So, the user could try it for some projects.

Yes, the quad meshing per T-Spline isn't available yet, only some short talks at the forum about it, but nothing concrete.

|Visualisation for Designer and Architects -
|www.simulacrum.de

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2853.11 In reply to 2853.10 
Hi Micha,

> Could be nice to get access to the npower mesher.
> Maybe you could add the quadmesher for advanced use.
> So, the user could try it for some projects.

No, I just do not think it is good enough to set up like that.

It would probably cause a lot of bug reports to be sent in without very much that I could do about them currently.

Also when I experimented with it, I only set things up to test on planar surfaces where big planar n-gons were generated. To make it work on curved surfaces as well would need additional work.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
a little bit related to this topic... micha discovered the latest Rhino update now has support for n-gon meshes via OBJ import and OBJ export. It can't generate them. But at least it can support them now. This might be useful to some MoI-Rhino users... Any chance you will add mesh export directly to 3DM in the future? Or it would create a mess of the current export dialogue? If you prefer not, then OBJ still works fine. Just one extra step is all...

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2853.13 In reply to 2853.12 
Hi jonah,

> Any chance you will add mesh export directly
> to 3DM in the future?

Yeah I think it should be feasible in the future.

But first McNeel would need to release an OpenNURBS toolkit that supported writing the n-gon data.

Just having it built directly into Rhino only doesn't really do the job - it needs to be exposed in the OpenNURBS library for me to be able to use it in 3DM files generated from MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-8  9-13