Identifying the Corner Points?
All  1-4  5-9

Previous
Next
How bout just an INI setting "CornerPointRGB=FF00FF"

Actually perhaps a double outline (0) for the point or a similar visual cue may be better?

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2832.6 In reply to 2832.5 
Hi Will, yup a couple of good ideas there.

I was thinking of possibly a larger outline might be a good thing to try as well, it will probably take some experimentation with a few different ideas to get a good result.

One other thing is that it would be good to have some various different ways to mark points as well, like mark the start/end point of a curve, mark tangent corner points somehow, etc... So it would be good to think of a system that would fit into that, rather than a system that would conflict with adding some different markers later.

Maybe these different things could all use the same marker, but there would be a UI somewhere where you could control which was currently set to be active...

It will probably take a fair amount of design effort to do a really proper job of this.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2832.7 In reply to 2832.6 
For the immediate issue, using squares instead of circles for corner points would seem to read really nicely; possibly, going with what Illustrator does (IIRC), filled circles instead of hollow circles could mark end points. I'm not sure about tangency, etc.; I'd generally be inclined to use a text label that appears on hover or when the point is visible, instead of trying to find an unlimited number of different symbols -- that seems likely to be more legible. The basic few cases, though, could definitely use more distinction. A list of checkboxes could handle the UI just fine, similar to how object snaps are handled now, although probably living in the view pane of the options menu. "Show corner points as squares", "Show end points as filled circles", "Label other point types".
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2832.8 In reply to 2832.7 
Hi Ella, yup some other good ideas there. It will take a while to sort through all of that and to prototype and refine the UI.

Generally things that involve new UI take a lot of extra time to do carefully, it is often not as easy to make it work smoothly and easily as an initial first guess.

So likely that will be something that I would try to work on possibly in v3 but definitely not right near the end of v2 where I am at right now.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Know what, having an 'X' or '+' rendered though the center of the point may be all that's needed!

It doesn't change at all the size or style of the existing point, but it would be immediately distinguishable by seeing the '+' in the middle of it...

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-9