Grouping unrelated objects together

Next
Is there a way to associate a group of unrelated objects together so that they all get selected with one click, they move together maintaining the same spacial relationship? You can rotate them together and change their object properties together as a group. You can also ungroup them and they become completely separate and unrelated. These are essentially the "group" and "ungroup" commands from Rhino, which I consider essential. I sure hope they're available in MoI.
Thanks,
Mark
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2826.2 In reply to 2826.1 
Hi Mark, in the current MoI v2 beta you can assign those objects a name. After that, the name will appear in the scene browser where you can click on it to select it:

Once selected, you can use any of the transform methods to transform the objects together - any selection set of objects will transform together like that.

I am also going to be looking into something that is closer to a groups type mechanism as well, but that is not complete yet.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2826.3 In reply to 2826.2 
Okay, Micheal, I give up. I've searched and looked, and I can't figure out how to assign a name to an object. I've downloaded the latest beta version, so the ability should be there. I just can't find it. Where should I look? MoI is so easy to use in so many ways and then you hit some little thing like this and...BAM brickwall!

While you're at it, I'm lofting several different shapes together and when they're all done I want the final ends to be capped, but not the intermediate intersections. I can't figure out how to do that either. Your help would again be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2826.4 In reply to 2826.3 
About names, select your object and then click in the top right corner of Moi where it says unnamed. Click on the word unnamed and a dialogbox will pop up.

/Lars
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2826.5 In reply to 2826.3 
Hey mark,
When you do a loft, the resaulting center is hollow.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2826.6 In reply to 2826.3 
Hi Mark, yeah like Lars mentions the name is available in the upper-right area of the MoI window in v2 when you select an object.

There is a new properties panel that shows various properties of the selected object, like its name, its type (whether curve, closed curve, solid, etc...), the style assigned to it, and its size.

Here's a screenshot to illustrate:

Not only does it show you the current properties there, but you can also move your mouse to that panel and click on the various things there to edit them.

So move your mouse to the line that says "Unnamed" there and click on it and that will allow you to set the name.

> While you're at it, I'm lofting several different shapes together
> and when they're all done I want the final ends to be capped, but
> not the intermediate intersections.

Normally Loft is supposed to work just like you are describing - it should not place caps at internal locations of the generated surface.

It's hard to understand what you might be running into here without seeing your actual shapes. Can you please post a 3DM file with your curves in it that you are trying to Loft? That would help to see what kind of problem you might be running into.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All