Need Boolean Difference help
 1-20  21-22

Previous
Next
2825.21 In reply to 2825.17 
Hi Burr, yeah I'm pretty conservative about modifying the model. If I ever do make something that would involve making major modifications to the model I would certainly also have some way to disable that.

It is normal for some kinds of things to be altered in certain ways in very small distances though, for example when joining 2 surfaces it is normal that they will join together to get one common shared edge even if their original edges are only within 0.001 units (or slightly larger in the case of join) nearby each other, rather than only joining things that are 100% completely exactly the same at a common edge.

That very small level of modification is normal with NURBS solid modeling, since many times surfaces can be created by a kind of adaptive fitting procedure that refines a surface result until it is accurate to that 0.001 units tolerance value.

So when I find ways to improve a model but keep it within that tolerance level of accuracy, that would be a more normal kind of alteration.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
2825.22 In reply to 2825.18 
Hi Steve,

> I will just need to accept that MOI cannot boolean these types.

Yes, there is currently a bug in the surface/surface intersection mechanism when 2 tubular things cross each other and intersect at a single top "crown point".

I think it will be possible for it to be improved in the future.

But for now the easiest way is to have a slight alteration in the tubes so that they do not intersect in that particular way - your lower accuracy sweep result happens to be one method that will do that, making a slight difference in the tube radius values is another way.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-22