closed curve into polymesh?

Next
I'd like to know if MoI can play a part in the process I need. As an example, I want to create a spline leaf outline that is filled to become a leaf shaped plane, give it a tad of thickness and then export it to a program such as modo or C4D to subdivide enough so I can emboss the leaf veins and give it curl etc. Can I do the startup closed cirve in MoI and export it as a polymesh that can be further subD'd in another program?

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2814.2 In reply to 2814.1 
Hi shokan, generally you would not take the meshed output from MoI to use as a sub-d cage elsewhere. Although it is possible to do so in some circumstances, usually the mesh you export will have things like n-gons in trimmed areas which are not good for sub-d refinement. But you could also re-topologize the mesh to make it more suitable.

For embossing you may want to try a brush based displacement program such as ZBrush or 3D-coat, rather than doing it as sub-d though. You can use MoI to generate the initial base shape for that kind of a use, especially with 3D-coat's new voxel based sculpting mode.

You may also have some interest in this previous thread that discussed some petal leaf type designs:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1401.1

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2814.3 In reply to 2814.1 
Hi shokan also I guess I should mention that if you want to export a closed curve as a mesh object you must build a surface for it first.

Curves by themselves don't create meshes, only surfaces create meshes when exporting to a mesh format like LWO.

If your curve is planar and closed, you can build a surface by selecting it and running Construct / Planar on it. That will build a trimmed planar surface from a closed planar curve outline.

Otherwise if your curve is not planar then you may need to use some other kinds of surfacing commands such as sweep to build the surfaces - that previous link to some other petal designs I think shows some ways to do that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All