New lighting model WIP
 1-17  …  58-77  78-97  98-117  118-137  138

Previous
Next
2801.98 In reply to 2801.97 
So any way to capture the current custom lighting to the clipboard or something?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.99 In reply to 2801.98 
Hi Burr,

> So any way to capture the current custom lighting to
> the clipboard or something?

Hi Burr, well the custom light levels are controlled by just 2 numbers, so it shouldn't be hard to just write them down.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.100 In reply to 2801.99 
OIC. Didnt see those in the video. Will those numbers be the same correlation in the script? When you give one example script after its done, then we could just fill in the different numbers to create the different setups as scripts.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.101 In reply to 2801.100 
Hi Burr, yup those numbers will be the same ones used by the script.

One of the nice things about how MoI's UI is set up is that the UI always talks to the core MoI code through the script interface. So that means that any numbers or things you see controlled by UI can also be controlled by a custom script as well.

> When you give one example script after its done, then we
> could just fill in the different numbers to create the
> different setups as scripts.

Yup, that should work pretty good.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
All right, I've got some good progress on specular highlights also now.

Here's an example:

Here's one with the metallic option also enabled:

When you enable Specular highlights, 2 additional sliders appear in the UI that let you adjust the Brightness and "Focus size" of the highlights.

Here I've taken the above one and loosened the focus and dulled the brightness some, it gives more of a sheen to an object rather than a hard looking small spot:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael:

Could be the new lighting modes a problem with an older graphic cards?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.104 In reply to 2801.102 
Looking good there Michael, looks like your bordering the rendering side of things :)

BTW will you be looking at an option to have black edges also or is that out of the question ?

---------
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.105 In reply to 2801.103 
Hi David,

> Could be the new lighting modes a problem with an older graphic cards?

Actually one of the cool things about this display stuff is that it is compatible with old cards as well, it should work all the way back to the original Radeon or GeForce1 cards.

All the screenshots that I posted are from a Radeon 9600 Pro card which is 6 years old.

I've tested it here on a Radeon 7500 and a Geforce2, which are very old - and actually you should upgrade to something newer if you have one of those because you can get something several generations newer and much faster for only about $30.

I think you would need to go back to about a 10 year old card for it to not work. I'm not sure yet about other than ATI or nVidia cards though, it is possible that some other systems like Intel integrated graphics may not have the support needed until somewhat more recently than that. If a card does not support what is needed, it will fall back to the old style basic lighting and all those new settings will not do anything in that case.

But it is likely that if you have a good enough graphics card to run MoI well now, that it should work fine for these new display options as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.106 In reply to 2801.104 
Hi Danny,

> BTW will you be looking at an option to have black edges
> also or is that out of the question ?

I'm going to be looking into some options for a "display override" type mechanism, I'll probably be able to fit an option for overriding the color of edges into that.

I'm not quite sure exactly how it will work quite yet but probably you'll be able to edit a text file that has a list of different display modes for things like "Matte White", "Shiny Blue", "Metallic Red", etc... so that there can be a control that will let you flip between these different display modes. The way that will generally work is that each mode will list some properties that it overrides from the normal default view, so something like an edge color property could fit into that same scheme pretty easily I think.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.107 In reply to 2801.106 
This all looks wonderful!

A matte white ("mud render"-like) mode, and something where you get black lines and, better still, black lines with depth-cueing, a la sketchup, would be really nice -- while it'll obviously never be a substitute for renders for anything that has to go in front of a client for real, getting fast, decent looking screenshots is still really handy.

/Ella
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I'm definitely THIRSTY for this now!

One question, Michael - how does the lighting look if you're inside the model??

A lot of my models - buildings, docking bays, etc., require me to be inside the model for some bits - will it be like it is now, still lit inside or out?

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.109 In reply to 2801.108 
Hi Will,

> A lot of my models - buildings, docking bays, etc., require
> me to be inside the model for some bits - will it be like it is
> now, still lit inside or out?

Yeah, it's the same as currently - basically it works like that so that objects that are open surfaces will look proper rather than having an arbitrary half of the surface all darkened.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.110 In reply to 2801.109 
Looks fantastic, Michael. I'm digging the soft specular highlights.

I just want to add that I second Danny's desire to see black surface edges. I thought it would have been a checkbox option or something, but making it available in a config file seems accessible enough. Wouldn't it be more functional to have surface curves black and free standing curves colored according to their style (especially if you add the option to display/alter isoline densities in the future)? Blah, this is probably a discussion that was held earlier on in the forums. I'll look for it. Anyway, great job!

EDITED: 30 Jul 2009 by VODKAMARTINI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.111 In reply to 2801.110 
Hi vodkamartini,

re: Black edges - yes there was some previous discussion of that earlier here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2801.28

But note that you can get black edges right now if you want, just select all edges (quick way is to go to the scene browser / Types and click on the text part for the "Edges" entry), and assign them to a style that has color=black.

In MoI edges can be assigned their own styles and names, and be hidden and/or locked same as a regular object.

You're probably not used to that since Rhino does not have the ability to do that.

The same thing applies to faces as well, for example you can assign different styles to face sub-selections without needing to break it apart into individual surfaces.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.112 In reply to 2801.107 
Hi Ella - I've added another option called "Fixed light positions" which when enabled makes the lights stay fixed in place instead of moving along with the camera as they normally do.

I think that combined with the "Hemispheric" lighting option should give you a mud-like matte style.

Depth-cueing will have to wait for some future version.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.113 In reply to 2801.112 
Oh, wonderful! I was assuming that that'd be a v3 thing. Great! And yeah, I understand depth cueing being a completely different issue, being, you know, not a lighting thing at all. :-) Thanks.

/Ella
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.114 In reply to 2801.113 
Hi Ella, here is what that Hemispheric style + "Fixed light positions" looks like:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.115 In reply to 2801.111 
Hi Michael,

> But note that you can get black edges right now
> if you want, just select all edges (quick way is to
> go to the scene browser / Types and click on the
> text part for the "Edges" entry), and assign them
> to a style that has color=black.

That's a possibility, the only thing is, every time you create new bodies and preform Boolean operations you have to go through the procedure again.

The reason for black edges is not purely for aesthetics, it gives a positive contrast between surface colour and edges, you could say it's a modeling aid, visually it gives a clear indication of the surface structure and shows up any minor discrepancies better.

I tend to find having the edges the same colour as the body colour a bit distracting. There is this option in other modeling programs.

Will we have the option to have default colour for edges, because I see your procedure above in reverse being easier, edges are default colour and if a style is wanted for some edges then you can isolate that body select all edges using 'type' and assign a style.

Just one more thing, I still can't think why you would want to assign a name to an edge, does anyone do it ?

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.116 In reply to 2801.115 
>>>Just one more thing, I still can't think why you would want to assign a name to an edge, does anyone do it ?

Could it be "Attachment_edge_1" in an assembly?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.117 In reply to 2801.115 
> The reason for black edges is not purely for aesthetics, it
> gives a positive contrast between surface colour and edges,
> you could say it's a modeling aid, visually it gives a clear
> indication of the surface structure and shows up any minor
> discrepancies better.

I can't really think of a case where black edges would show discrepancies better.

Do you have an example where you can show that?

> Will we have the option to have default colour for edges,
> because I see your procedure above in reverse being easier,

Yeah the way I was describing above is just how you can set it up right now if you want.

I am going to be looking next into some methods for overriding different attributes of the display so you could have the option to for example have all edges drawn in black instead of in their style colors.

> Just one more thing, I still can't think why you would
> want to assign a name to an edge, does anyone do it ?

Probably not right now, but if you find yourself needing to select the same set of edges many times, then you can assign them a name to more easily select them with the browser the next time you need to do it.

By having edges behave simliar to a full object (being able to have a name, style, hide, lock, etc...), it gives it this ability to participate as a "named selection set" if you need that.

Similarly it has been useful to be able to select edges and hide them to get them out of the way visually the same as you would hide other objects to get them out of the way. That's all part of having edges behave in a similar way as a regular object.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-17  …  38-57  58-77  78-97  98-117  118-137  138