Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.62 In reply to 2801.61 
Actually it looks like the "metal mode" may work pretty well similar to a stripe analysis.

For example here's a juncture:

Regular circular fillet (tangent continuity):

G2 blend fillet (curvature continuity):

Probably a Zebra mode would be good too for doing a more detailed focus on shaping, but this metallic mode would probably be easier to do regular work with than trying to do normal work (other than just examination) in zebra mode.

You may need to drive up the display mesh density even higher though to do a really detailed analysis, I'm not sure yet how to manage that.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
It really does seem to have a good metallic feel, here's another shot:

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.64 In reply to 2801.63 
Little MoI is not a baby anymore. I think I'm going to cry just a bit.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.65 In reply to 2801.64 
@Michael
What I mean when I say its "pretty close" is that your environement map is good but I think you see too much "steps" in the gradients!
You should make two different metal looks, one non-blurred like chrome and one blurred but with non-visible "steps" , a smoother blur.

Here's two example from Auxpecker (all rights reserved)

First is a non-blurred chrome

Wich produce this kind of result

And here's the second example, anodized metal (could be also a 80% blurred metal) wich can be any color (or white for uncolored metal)

Wich produce this kind of result

As you see its two very different results, your environement map is between the two, its blurred but not enough maybe.
You said it was a 6 side cube image map but when I look at your screenshot it looks like different spot lights pointing at the model with not enough falloff, you can clearly see in the white part a circle shapes just like a circular gradient in photoshop but with not enough area between the dark and light colors. I hope you understand what I said :)
Can you share the image you are using? Or at least a screenshot of it?
Im annoying I know, always commenting and suggesting stuff :) Your tests are already looking very good Michael.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.66 In reply to 2801.65 
Definitely looking better. I think using light definitions to auto generate the cubemap is rather limiting, which is why I was interested in loading the map (in this case 6 textures) from disk. These days it's trivial to just jump into 3ds max, maya, modo, etc. and generate environment maps that work better. Just place a camera with the proper projection settings in the middle of a scene and render it out. You can see how easy it was to make the chrome example DesuDeus posted, and the results are much more appealing, imo. Plus you aren't limited to standard lighting setups and can achieve any kind of effect you want (e.g. place the camera inside a procedurally mapped sphere and give it a soft diffuse plasma look).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.67 In reply to 2801.65 
Hi DesuDeus, thanks for sharing those images! But I don't really think that the examples that you show there are necessarily "better" than the one I showed, they just have some different qualities, some of which are actually undesirable.

Having some more compressed gradients actually helps to give a bit more prominent visible reflection lines, which are kind of what you want to look for when you are using the reflection as a guide for surface smoothness.

The blurry one that you show reduces the effectiveness of using reflections for that purpose.

Then the chrome one you show is maybe a little bit too unbalanced, it looks very much like chrome certainly but the visible reflection lines are all only on the top half of the environment.

I'm not only shooting for just a purely aesthetic result with this function, I'm also trying to give it some practical qualities as well.

Your comments seem to be putting a kind of "final rendering" aesthetic look above all else which is not necessarily the right direction for a kind of interactive modeling mode, really.

I can understand the desire to make things look really cool, but also you seem to have a tendency to want to place "form over function", which is not really the philosophy that is guiding MoI in general.

> Can you share the image you are using? Or at least a screenshot of it?

It's not so easy to do this because it is a procedurally generated cube map. I don't have anything set up currently to dump it to disk.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.68 In reply to 2801.66 
Hi vodkamartini,

> I think using light definitions to auto generate the
> cubemap is rather limiting

Not really - it actually gives me a lot of freedom to just adjust a few parameters and then generate several variations on a basic structure.

Like for instance I may be able to have one version with the key light stronger and the fill lights lessened, one with no fill lights, and one somewhere in between.

It's also possible for me to adjust the key light direction dynamically since I'm generating all the data.

Much of this flexibility would not be so easy to handle (or probably not possible for changing of directions) if it were only based strictly on static pre-generated maps.

> These days it's trivial to just jump into 3ds max, maya,
> modo, etc. and generate environment maps that work better.

There are many MoI users who don't have any of those applications, so it is not really so great to be totally dependent on that method.

I think that will be great as an option in the future, but having procedurally generated ones is much more practical for the initial base functionality.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.69 In reply to 2801.68 
I only meant it was limiting from the user's perspective (in that we can generate the same env. maps in a 3d package, plus much much more). I completely understand the advantages on your end, especially if you're dynamically updating the lights. I'm sure many people would be eager to produce and share their own maps, so I doubt those without the necessary 3d packages wouldn't stand to benefit.

You're right about the examples DesuDeus posted as being too aesthetic. I think a happy medium between pure eye candy and bland functionality can exist, with more of the interesting solutions achievable outside the confines of simple omni/directional/spot lights. I also agree that what you have now is a proper foundation, and I never meant to suggest replacing it - merely supplementing it.

Anyway, I like the improvements you're making and I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever look v2 ends up having. Keep up the great work!

EDITED: 25 Jul 2009 by VODKAMARTINI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.70 In reply to 2801.63 
Looking good Michael, where are you heading with this, are you just experimenting or are you implementing these visual options in V2 ?

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.71 In reply to 2801.70 
Hi Danny, well I was just doing some quick experimenting with some different things I can do now with the new lighting mechanism, and I just kind of happened to find that metallic look is easy for me to do now with it.

I actually tweaked just one line of code to get it, I was just thinking hmm I wonder what will happen if I do this instead and out popped that look.

So yes, I think unless something goes unexpectedly wrong I'll be able to include it as an option in v2.

This technique should work fine with old cards too, all the way back to the first GeForce or Radeon cards. I just did a quick test on an old GeForce2 and a Radeon 7500 and it is looking good there...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.72 In reply to 2801.71 
@Michael

> "Having some more compressed gradients actually helps to give a bit more prominent visible reflection lines,
which are kind of what you want to look for when you are using the reflection as a guide for surface smoothness."

I disagree, there's Zebra for surface smoothness. Or checkerboard.
> "The blurry one that you show reduces the effectiveness of using reflections for that purpose."

Well the blurry one is only for beauty, its good to work on good looking models. You said that dark UI are depressing, I say that
grey models are depressing too :)
> "I'm not only shooting for just a purely aesthetic result with this function, I'm also trying to give it some practical qualities as well."

I understand that, but if you look for pratical then Zebra and also one wich has very light shadows, would be more practical than metal.
But if you want to do both aesthetic and pratical made 1 zebra, 1 chrome, 1 blurred.
> "Your comments seem to be putting a kind of "final rendering" aesthetic look above all else which is
not necessarily the right direction for a kind of interactive modeling mode, really."

Yes but I never show anything else that "renders" to the clients, so that aesthetic is only for my personal use.
> "I can understand the desire to make things look really cool, but also you seem to have a tendency
to want to place "form over function", which is not really the philosophy that is guiding MoI in general."

I agree on this one, I like the form im 200% a graphic and design guy. But I think that MoI as already too much function over form.
MoI website says "MoI, 3D Modeling for Designers and Artists" I think that designers need
good looking env maps (auxpecker author is a product designer in china)
The "Artists" part is already mission complete because MoI is simple and powerfull so Artists can work on MoI.
> "There are many MoI users who don't have any of those applications, so it is not really so great to be totally dependent on that method."

I disagree on this one, if you implement .jpeg or .png env maps I would make literraly tons of them and share them for free on MoI forum!
And I would share them because as you said "not everyone have those applications" so I would take time to help people who dont have the software.
If you allow users to make content they would be very happy to produce content because they all love MoI.
That's also why I make comments and requests, that's because I cant help you coding MoI because im not a code guy, but I still want to do something because I cant work on any other software for modelling since ive discovered MoI 3d :)
Oh and ive posted my WiP on Nurbs + Poly forum, one guy commented "i never get my hands on Moi but defently have a look at it and some nurbs stuff."
and the other one said "I find it kind of interesting that you find NURBS to be easier.
I'm the other way around. Of course, i started out with box modeling and am trying to learn NURBS on the side."

Ive told them to visit MoI website and download the trial version :)
Keep up the good work, if you think my critics are rough tell me, im not trying to be annoying. I only want to give the better feedback I can.
And I understand that everyone as a different workflow, some people doesn't need and know what are environement maps.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.73 In reply to 2801.72 
>I agree on this one, I like the form im 200% a graphic and design guy. But I think that MoI as already too much function over form.
>MoI website says "MoI, 3D Modeling for Designers and Artists" I think that designers need
>good looking env maps (auxpecker author is a product designer in china)
>The "Artists" part is already mission complete because MoI is simple and powerfull so Artists can work on MoI.

Not my place but I TOTALLY disagree...

How is the sweep tool working for you? Do you really think materials, environment setting are more important for designers than tools like surface editing, dimensioning tools etc.?

QUOTE.
(There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. —C.A.R. Hoare)

MoI as it stand now it does fall in the first category BUT it could go the "Rhino way" (if we not careful what we wish/demand) Look Rhino V4 for example, is a Bloatware IMO...The developers Instead on focusing how to improve the Boolean tools they come up with Real Time shadows...Instead of improving the import/export file formats...they develop the nXt render engine. Not to mention the other animals in the jungle :)
The bottom line is Rhino could have been the best Modeler out there BUT...

Anyway I hope MoI develops to a KICK ASS Specialized Tool...Nothing Less Nothing More.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.74 In reply to 2801.72 
Hi DesuDeus,

> I disagree, there's Zebra for surface smoothness. Or checkerboard.

Those are great for doing a kind of special check, but they are so overwhelming on the screen that it is not very convenient to use those styles for full time regular modeling.

> I understand that, but if you look for pratical then Zebra and
> also one wich has very light shadows, would be more practical
> than metal.

No, although Zebra is good to have as well, but it is not as practical as the metal one I showed previously for having on full time while modeling.

> MoI website says "MoI, 3D Modeling for Designers and Artists"

Yes - notice that it says 3D Modeling for Designers and Artists, not 3D "Rendering" for Designers and Artists.

Currently MoI is focused on being a tool for modeling, that's why many of the current priorities are oriented towards practical functions and ease of use and not necessarily for just having the most possible beautiful image on the screen like it would be when you are working on producing renderings.

For a tool, the priority is usefulness first. If there is some choice that makes a more cool looking screen image but negatively impacts usefulness, then that would not be aligned with MoI's current goals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to having things look nice when possible as well, but that is a lower priority goal. Despite that, I actually have spent a lot more time improving the graphic look of MoI than I had done in previous projects like Rhino for example.

> The "Artists" part is already mission complete because MoI is
> simple and powerfull so Artists can work on MoI.

No, I don't think that will ever really be "mission complete"... There's still a lot more ground to be covered in the "modeling" part.

> If you allow users to make content they would be very
> happy to produce content because they all love MoI.

Yes, this would definitely be a useful function to be able to include user-generated environments, and I do want to include it in the future.

> if you think my critics are rough tell me

It's not that they are rough, they sound like cool and fun things to do definitely!

But your priorities (for example, just making things "look cool") are not in line with MoI's current development priorities - that means that I can't easily act directly on your feedback so much in the short term because it would take me away from the current set of goals instead of moving in line with the current set of goals.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.75 In reply to 2801.73 
Neo - As far as I know, there is one guy working on real time shadows and he has nothing to do with making improvements to the Boolean code. Just as the people who build Accurender/Flamingo/nXt may not be the people who handle updates to the file I/O. I dont know for sure but it's a pretty fair assumption that development would be compartmentalized.... Also I wonder which I/O you are referring to? Because I don't see many complaints about improving the exporters. I only see a lot of complaints to improve the mesher. And that is easy to agree on! :P
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Some more tweaking and refining.

I think there will be a few choices for some different combinations of intensities of the fill lights. This one has them up pretty high, maybe this will be about the brightest:

The same intensities with "metallic" option:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.77 In reply to 2801.76 
@Neo
> "Anyway I hope MoI develops to a KICK ASS Specialized Tool...Nothing Less Nothing More."

Specialized? I think most people buy MoI because it has a powerfull UI and its simple... not "specialized"
I hope MoI become more and more simple and powerfull, not become an elite specialized tool like Rhino.

> "How is the sweep tool working for you?"

It does exactly what I want already.

> "MoI as it stand now it does fall in the first category BUT it could go the "Rhino way"

I dont want MoI to go to the Rhino way, env maps are in the first category because it makes simple to model things, its an help for modelling.

@Michael
> "No, although Zebra is good to have as well, but it is not as practical as the metal one I showed previously for having on full time while modeling."

I dont use Zebra, I never used it, only discovered it in Rhino. If im asking for Zebra its not for me, its for people who need to check for continuity.
I never do class A surfaces and I never care about G1, G2 and G3. I agree that its not as practical as the metal one, its a specialized tool so it cant be good for full time modeling.
By the way Zebra can be good looking too (Alias design screenshot)

> "Currently MoI is focused on being a tool for modeling, that's why many of the current priorities are oriented towards practical functions
and ease of use and not necessarily for just having the most possible beautiful image on the screen like it would be when you are working on producing renderings."

Well I think that env maps improve modelling ease and comfort. And as I said to Neo I dont want to use MoI as a product rendering.

> "For a tool, the priority is usefulness first."

You are currently working on a new light system, it can be both usefull and good looking.

> "But your priorities (for example, just making things "look cool") are not in line with MoI's current development priorities
that means that I can't easily act directly on your feedback so much in the short term because it would take me away from the current set of goals instead of moving in line with the current set of goals."

Yes I agree, but I see that you are currently working on that light system so I speak only about that particular area. If it was a thread about the modelling tools I will only speak about modelling tools and making feedback about them. And its not "my priorities" I dont have priorities I found MoI to be already perfect for what I do. Im not a product designer also. Its just that I like to give feedback on anything.

> "Some more tweaking and refining."

This one is perfect! No more dark areas :) This is very usefull.

> "The same intensities with "metallic" option"

Very good looking too, much better than before. The sphere is kinda strange but the Squid thing is good.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.78 In reply to 2801.76 
Michael,
Have you already an idea of where the lighting will be implemented and in what way?

It appears to be a style? some objects can have this and others can be normal style? Not just a viewport implementation?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.79 In reply to 2801.78 
Hi Burr - no for now at least it won't be able to be set on a per-object basis, it's a global setting that controls everything in the viewports.

Maybe in the future it can get set by style, but that could possibly have some performance difficulties.

I'm kind of getting an idea of where this will go in the UI, probably there will be some stuff in Options / View to control the default light setup, I should be digging into that pretty soon here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.80 In reply to 2801.79 
God man, DIG! I dont know if the dilithium crystals can take much more!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-120  121-138