New lighting model WIP
 1-7  8-27  28-47  48-67  68-87  88-107  …  128-138

Previous
Next
2801.48 In reply to 2801.47 
@Jbshorty
"It's really just a browser that hooks up to Rhino's object material properties."

I know. I follow auxpecker blog from a long time
I said "Maybe speak to auxpecker coder because he has very very good environement maps pictures that he use in Auxpecker."
Because its not easy to model good environements for rendering env maps. Its better to ask someone who has already made a lot
of very good renders of environements. Maybe Michael doesn't have time to do a lot of them.

"V5's real-time shadows"

There's some videos on youtube that ive already seen, but I dont find it usefull for helping modelling.
Its good to show the model to the client but usually we have time to do renders.
Real time ambient occlusion like SSAO in video games would be better than real time shadows.

But I didn't know about BlackBird RT, the video look very good :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.49 In reply to 2801.48 
DesuDeus wrote: "...Its good to show the model to the client but usually we have time to do renders.
Real time ambient occlusion like SSAO in video games would be better than real time shadows..."

It's VERY VERY much a WIP but... try this... TestToggleAmbientOcclusion ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.50 In reply to 2801.49 
I dont have rhino at home, will try it monday at work :)
Thanks for the tips.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi all here is miror object with sky refliction real time good time
just add sky picture under the mirored object

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.52 In reply to 2801.51 
lyes - This effect looks great! :) So this is the basic setup?

1) mirror the object across the XY axis
2) make a big ground plane with hole trimmed in the center
3) place a sky image beneath the mirrored object

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.53 In reply to 2801.52 
hi jbshorty yes like that and you can add transparent picture with a bit off color in the hole (big ground plane with hole)
as in the picture the big plane with hole will cover the big sky

EDITED: 25 Jul 2009 by BLYESS

Image Attachments:
Size: 13 KB, Downloaded: 13 times, Dimensions: 512x512px
Size: 557.9 KB, Downloaded: 11 times, Dimensions: 1200x900px
Size: 248 KB, Downloaded: 23 times, Dimensions: 797x854px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.54 In reply to 2801.53 
lyes wrote: "...you can add transparent picture with a bit off color in the hole..."

Yep, that's what I'd been doing in Rhino. I set the ground plane material slightly transparent to control the "reflection" amount of the mirrored objects. But I hadn't thought to use an image of the sky beneath it. It's a nice effect. But it's hard to find good pictures for interior ceilings. I will need to walk around with camera and take pictures like a tourist... :)

And it could be taken one step further to use an alpha for simulating puddles of water on the ground plane too... :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.55 In reply to 2801.54 
hi jbshorty good idea for water effect
i have an update material reflection i took marbel picture made it a bit transparent (200 from 255 not transparent in paint.net)
nice effect have a look

i dont know if Micheal can do some tune up for pictures like :

snape to pictures edges and corners when drawing and make it on or off in the snape setting
setting for each picture like transparency and position (above ,below,with) instead off globale that will make it easy instead off going to photo editing and back to moi
possible to select picture and see it as line from others views to move it
copying picture inserted
and edit directory for each picture (ex: if you move picture to another folder MOI will not see it any more only the frame is there) some how to look for it and keep the picture setting
like that when you open 3dm file in MOI with picture setting just point to the folder where the pictures are
and finaly a way to save the pictures inserted in a folder

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.56 In reply to 2801.55 
Hi lyes,

> (ex: if you move picture to another folder MOI will not see it any
> more only the frame is there)

One way you can fix that is to move the picture to be in the same folder as the .3dm file.

If MoI cannot find the picture with the file path that was stored, it will also check in the same folder as the .3dm file to see if it can find it there.

Many of the other things you are requesting would probably also have a side effect of making the UI for dealing with images more complicated than it currently is... So it would likely take quite a lot of design effort to try and incorporate all that additional functionality without making things much harder to use for simple tasks, if that was even possible.

The current background images mechanism is intended not really for special effects like you're using here, but more as visual guides for drawing on top of.

Maybe it would be best to have something that was oriented for effects to be separate somehow from the current one...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Experimenting with some other lighting stuff.

This one gives a kind of metallic feel:

Also when moving around it's a little different:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.58 In reply to 2801.57 
HI Michael thanks for the tip , looking good
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.59 In reply to 2801.58 
Hey I like this metallic one Michael :)
Not as good as a true env image map but its really close !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.60 In reply to 2801.59 
Hi DesuDeus,

> Not as good as a true env image map but its really close !

Well actually it is using a type of environment mapping to get that effect so yes - definitely very close to environment mapping since it is environment mapping... :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.61 In reply to 2801.60 
And Danny's long awaited feature...... KANGAROO STRIPES! :O
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.62 In reply to 2801.61 
Actually it looks like the "metal mode" may work pretty well similar to a stripe analysis.

For example here's a juncture:

Regular circular fillet (tangent continuity):

G2 blend fillet (curvature continuity):

Probably a Zebra mode would be good too for doing a more detailed focus on shaping, but this metallic mode would probably be easier to do regular work with than trying to do normal work (other than just examination) in zebra mode.

You may need to drive up the display mesh density even higher though to do a really detailed analysis, I'm not sure yet how to manage that.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
It really does seem to have a good metallic feel, here's another shot:

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.64 In reply to 2801.63 
Little MoI is not a baby anymore. I think I'm going to cry just a bit.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.65 In reply to 2801.64 
@Michael
What I mean when I say its "pretty close" is that your environement map is good but I think you see too much "steps" in the gradients!
You should make two different metal looks, one non-blurred like chrome and one blurred but with non-visible "steps" , a smoother blur.

Here's two example from Auxpecker (all rights reserved)

First is a non-blurred chrome

Wich produce this kind of result

And here's the second example, anodized metal (could be also a 80% blurred metal) wich can be any color (or white for uncolored metal)

Wich produce this kind of result

As you see its two very different results, your environement map is between the two, its blurred but not enough maybe.
You said it was a 6 side cube image map but when I look at your screenshot it looks like different spot lights pointing at the model with not enough falloff, you can clearly see in the white part a circle shapes just like a circular gradient in photoshop but with not enough area between the dark and light colors. I hope you understand what I said :)
Can you share the image you are using? Or at least a screenshot of it?
Im annoying I know, always commenting and suggesting stuff :) Your tests are already looking very good Michael.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.66 In reply to 2801.65 
Definitely looking better. I think using light definitions to auto generate the cubemap is rather limiting, which is why I was interested in loading the map (in this case 6 textures) from disk. These days it's trivial to just jump into 3ds max, maya, modo, etc. and generate environment maps that work better. Just place a camera with the proper projection settings in the middle of a scene and render it out. You can see how easy it was to make the chrome example DesuDeus posted, and the results are much more appealing, imo. Plus you aren't limited to standard lighting setups and can achieve any kind of effect you want (e.g. place the camera inside a procedurally mapped sphere and give it a soft diffuse plasma look).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2801.67 In reply to 2801.65 
Hi DesuDeus, thanks for sharing those images! But I don't really think that the examples that you show there are necessarily "better" than the one I showed, they just have some different qualities, some of which are actually undesirable.

Having some more compressed gradients actually helps to give a bit more prominent visible reflection lines, which are kind of what you want to look for when you are using the reflection as a guide for surface smoothness.

The blurry one that you show reduces the effectiveness of using reflections for that purpose.

Then the chrome one you show is maybe a little bit too unbalanced, it looks very much like chrome certainly but the visible reflection lines are all only on the top half of the environment.

I'm not only shooting for just a purely aesthetic result with this function, I'm also trying to give it some practical qualities as well.

Your comments seem to be putting a kind of "final rendering" aesthetic look above all else which is not necessarily the right direction for a kind of interactive modeling mode, really.

I can understand the desire to make things look really cool, but also you seem to have a tendency to want to place "form over function", which is not really the philosophy that is guiding MoI in general.

> Can you share the image you are using? Or at least a screenshot of it?

It's not so easy to do this because it is a procedurally generated cube map. I don't have anything set up currently to dump it to disk.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-7  8-27  28-47  48-67  68-87  88-107  108-127  128-138