Meshing and Render colors

Next
Hi all, I am new to MOI but vintaged with Rhino and purchased MOI for it's V2 meshing capabilities. And it is amazing!

WISH 1:
I would love to see MOI being able to show and save rendercolors from the 3dm files.

I use MOI for meshing complex shapes for exporting to OBJ and it would save me a lot of time if the rendercolors were intact.

(Now I have to reassign the colors and pick evey object that needs a color by hand, and if MOI's mesher haddn't been so incredible amazing it would not have been worth it :)

Thanks for a great tool Michael.
I recomend you make a Rhino plugin with just the mesher, sell it for the same price as MOI and let the users have MOI for free... it would be a good way of attracting people.
And a GREAT benefit for all Rhino users. I believe it would be a win-win situation. (Make the mesher not work unless MOI is installed on the computer ;)

WISH 2:
I would love to have a numeric input for the meshing slider, so it would be possible to reinput the same values another time.
And it would be good to have a coarser than the lowerst setting.
And a Quad only output?

-Jørgen
Holografisk

EDITED: 7 Jul 2009 by HOLOGRAFISK

Image Attachments:
Size: 121.7 KB, Downloaded: 95 times, Dimensions: 634x486px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2757.2 In reply to 2757.1 
Hi Jørgen,

welcome at the MoI meshing for Rhino user. ;)

I can't help you for your post, but maybe you can help here or you know somebody who can do it (script for better meshing import):

http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2720.1

At this thread you find a usefull MoI script tool that can be used with Rhino buttons. Here my Rhino button scripts for this MoI script:

for export:
_-export "d:\temp\#moi.3dm" _enter _enter
_-run "C:\Program Files (x86)\MOI 2.0\MOIConvert.cmd"

for import:
_delete
_-import "d:\temp\#moi.obj" _enter
_QuadrangulateMesh _enter

Tomorrow I start in vacation so I can't post the next weeks.

Ciao,
Micha

|Visualisation for Designer and Architects -
|www.simulacrum.de

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Jørgen welcome, is that an Aker Ram rig? I work for an offshore drilling contractor and I don't bump in to too many oilfield people.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2757.4 In reply to 2757.1 
Hi Jørgen, thanks very much for your order and I'm glad that you are finding MoI useful!

> I would love to see MOI being able to show and save
> rendercolors from the 3dm files.

There is some new support for this in MoI v2, you can download the current beta from here: http://moi3d.com/beta.htm

In MoI v2 the layer assignments in the 3DM file will be read into MoI as Styles, which will then become material assignments when exporting to OBJ or LWO formats.

> I recomend you make a Rhino plugin with just the mesher,

I wish I could do this - but unfortunately it would take a fair amount of work to make that happen and I've only got very limited resources since I am the only person working on MoI.

Because my time is so limited, it basically forces me to focus attention on one single product only: the MoI standalone program. So currently I don't have any plans for making plugins for other systems.

But you should definitely check out the other thread Micha mentioned above though, with that system you can set up a button in Rhino that will export objects, launch MoI and have it read the objects and generate a mesh, and then bring it back into Rhino. That can give you something closer to the same kind of convenience factor that a Rhino plugin would have.

Additionally, a Rhino plugin that created meshes would actually be more limited than what MoI can currently do, since Rhino's native meshes can only have triangles or quad faces and not general n-gon faces.

> WISH 2:
> I would love to have a numeric input for the meshing
> slider, so it would be possible to reinput the same values
> another time.

Actually, this is already available - if you expand the meshing options dialog by using the arrow in the lower left corner:

Then you'll have access to the numeric input fields and additional controls - the angle field is what the slider controls, you'll see it update as you move the slider.

> And it would be good to have a coarser than the lowerst setting.

You can use the numeric entry field to put in an angle value outside of the slider range.

> And a Quad only output?

Unfortunately that is a much different problem to solve than what the current mesher tries to do which is to have a more minimal polygon count.

For example to have quads only would mean that the flat top cap of an extrusion would need to be tiled into many small quads, rather than being one single n-gon as it is currently set up.

Basically, making all quads would mean trying to make polygons that radiate out from trim curves and are not necessarily aligned with the UV structure of the surface - that doesn't really match up very well with the normal structure of how processing NURBS surfaces work.

So it's not like it would be an adjustment to the current meshing process, it would require a completely different approach and a different meshing mechanism.

Maybe in the future I will be able to give it a try, but I have been becoming somewhat doubtful about the chances of making that work really well though.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All