MoI - Big Wishlist thread - Post your wishes here
 1-19  20-39  40-59  60-79  80-99  …  140-157

Previous
Next
275.40 In reply to 275.39 

With the mouse till you don't right clic after the 3third point or clic on another function, 3 points are "visible and movable"
With pen 3 points are "visible and movable" till you don't clic on another function
No need more button !
Just a suggestion :)
Of course yes this need a little more scripting :)

---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery

EDITED: 23 Jan 2007 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.41 In reply to 275.40 
re: move the 3 points before exiting the command.

I think that eventually this will be covered by history - eventually when there is an object tree available, you should be able to pick the 3pt arc and see that it has a history that it was created by 3 points, and have some way to turn on those points and edit them and have the arc update. That would then behave like you are describing. But it will be quite a while before that is ready.

Right now I don't want to do this since it would require an extra action - either right-click or "done" button, they are much the same. That would be quite a bit different than the other draw tools.

> With pen 3 points are "visible and movable" till you don't clic on another function

This is not easy to do without having a "done" button, since you may want to select the arc after you draw it. There is no button for going into selection mode, that's normally what the "Done" button is for, to exit the command and then go back into selection mode....

Thank you for the idea though!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Aren't you glad alot of the interface is written in JScript? ;)

Anyways, I want to thank you for all the hard work. This is a great lil tool.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.43 In reply to 275.29 
So I went in, and tried to set it to a rediculously high mesh level.

Note the large unsubdivided polygens on the guard/hilt. Ideally, it would be great if those large areas got cut up into more quads/tris/ngons. That way I could import into zbrush, and detail it further.

Yeah, maybe the slices idea is too slow, but 'gridding' a flat surface would be great. It should respond to "Avoid larger than", that way I can set the density of the grid.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.44 In reply to 275.42 
> Aren't you glad alot of the interface is written in JScript? ;)

Yup! The flexible underpinnings of the UI really help me adapt things and make changes more rapidly than is normally possible.

> Anyways, I want to thank you for all the hard work. This is a great lil tool.

Thank you!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

I would like to see the star feature added to the polygon menu. I cant count how many times I've used it in rhino.
Drawing a curve on surface would be nice too! There may be a way to do it now, but I havent found it.
Regards,
Ken

Oops, forgot the project command would be real nice too.

EDITED: 23 Jan 2007 by JWLRYMKR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
One strange thing...

The thin strip down the center of the blade of the dagger is planar, and gets divided up into squares 1 unit in size, apparently because of "Avoid Larger Than" being sent to 1, and aspect limit set to 1 as well. So 'gridding' apparently works for relatively linear areas.

The hilt though never gets subdivided much.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.47 In reply to 275.46 
> One strange thing...
>
> The thin strip down the center of the blade of the dagger is planar, and gets
> divided up into squares 1 unit in size, apparently because of "Avoid Larger
> Than" being sent to 1, and aspect limit set to 1 as well. So 'gridding'
> apparently works for relatively linear areas.
>
> The hilt though never gets subdivided much.

It's purely the result of the aspect ratio limit - setting that to one will make it try to subdivide to make things into squares if possible.

This will force subdivisions on rectangular surfaces, but if your surface (the underlying untrimmed surface, before trim curves are applied) is already nearly square, then aspect ratio limit won't really do anything to it. It won't cause a square to be subdivided, because dividing a square in half by any direction will result in a larger difference in width/height than before.

I'm working now on having a setting to apply the "Divide larger than" work on planes, that should do what you want.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.48 In reply to 275.45 

@ken
<Drawing a curve on a surface
Till now you can make like this :)
http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=286.1

---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.49 In reply to 275.48 
Thank you Frenchy :) that is very helpful!

Ken

Regards,
Ken

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.50 In reply to 275.43 
re: meshing flat areas.

Hi Crusoe, I've added a new setting for the next beta that can be used to make the "Divide larger than" setting also apply to planar surfaces:

By default it does not apply to planar surfaces, since adding more polygons to a plane does not normally help any kind of rendering appearance.

But if you want to do other things to the mesh such as deform it, this new setting will help out.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.51 In reply to 275.50 

Wow! Perfect! :D

Now all that is left is "Project curve on surface" and "Extrude" from that.... ;)

Have a surface, draw a curve on it. If the curve is closed, be able to extrude the enclosed part of the surface.

Then Moi would meet 99.9% of my hard edged modeling needs. :)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.52 In reply to 275.24 
Hi Michael,

I'd also prefer Arc: Start, End, Point on Arc.

I know the interface and tool set of MoI is intended to facilitate the use of a
pen and tablet, but I was wondering if it would be possible to implement
arrow keys to move an object? (the way nudge keys work in Rhino)
There are times when it's faster for me to precisely shape a curve by
nudging control points, rather than jerking them around willy-nilly with the mouse.

Jesse
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

A few new wishes.

A reminder...
Michael, the first post of this thread is a list of my wishes... One can be very useful and maybe easy for you to add for the next beta...
11. Add more solids : For example a tube, a pyramid...Why use booleans for these.

Wishes No 7 (images) and 10 (cap ends) are already done !!!!

A new one : (small) When using array command, there is no need to enter a number in X and Y spacing when I choose to make a [1,1,n] array, that means having multiple objects on Z axis.

A new one : ORTHO - Being able to move only on X, Y,Z axis. That can be achieved with Shift button or just a shortcut. I guess everyone will find it useful.To do this now you have to select the MOVE command, and have GRID SNAP enabled. I know that when I drag an object I can see if I move parallel to an axis. What I need is more to be sure that I can't move off axis.

A new one : Some right click menus will be very helpful.. Maybe there are not many commands for this right now but "Hide","Show points", "Copy/Paste" etc can be placed there.

EDITED: 24 Jan 2007 by JTB

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.54 In reply to 275.53 

I could be wrong, but doesn't using Straight Snap and Construction Lines accomplish
pretty much the same thing as Ortho constraints? Actually, I find it's more versatile.

In the example, I'm moving the sphere, using the Origin as base marker to
create construction lines in X,Y and Z and at 45 degree angles.

There are many ways to "skin a cat", MoI just happens to have some good all-purpose tools. :-)

Jesse

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.55 In reply to 275.53 
> I know that when I drag an object I can see if I move parallel to an axis.
> What I need is more to be sure that I can't move off axis.

Hi JTB - in MoI the "Straight Snap" is intended to be a replacement for Ortho, make sure it is highlighted in the bottom bar when you want to do ortho drawing.

It doesn't just show you when you move parallel to an axis - it is a snapping aid that has some gravity to it that helps you to move parallel to an axis.

Just make sure you see the tracking line when you click and you will have the same result as Ortho.

You can increase the snapping strength if you want, this will make your point "stick" to that line a little easier - to do this, move your mouse to the Straight Snap button at the bottom of the screen and click on the little menu arrow that shows up, and choose "Straight snap options".

In the options dialog, set both "Activate distance" and "Keep active distance" to a larger values, maybe something like 20 and 20.

That will increase the gravity of the straight snap so that you will snap on to that line if you are within 20 pixels of it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.56 In reply to 275.55 
Thanks, Michael, Increasing weight is working fine, no need for something else...! Also snap angle is great.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
275.57 In reply to 275.56 
One other quick note - currently a different way to do a tube shape (a hollow cylinder) is to draw 2 concentric circles and then do extrude. That's probably easier than doing 2 cylinders with booleans since you only have to specify the height once with the extrude way.

When you extrude something you can have curves nested inside other curves - the inside ones become holes during the extrusion.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi,

Not much time these days to answer to various posts. I've seen a lot of cool suggestions and I'm glad to see that there will be new options for arc 3 points and elliptical arc. I had no time to say that I supported these suggestions before Michael announced they would be in the next beta !!!
The new option for meshing planar surfaces will also be welcome. Not only for further detailing the mesh but I think it will ease the creation of nice UV maps as well. And who knows, maybe Ngons with less points will be easier to import into Modo ! ;-)
The mesh example in the post by Michael looks very similar to what Amapi Pro produces.

Thanks Michael for great reactivity to various requests.

Now, I'd like to second the request of JDK (Jesse) concerning the use of arrow keys to move objects and (more important in my opinion) control points. With an option to set the distance (for example click on arrow key would nudge a point 1/10th of a unit while Shift click would nudge 1/2 or 1 unit...)

Also the suggestion to extrude surfaces along their normals has my support.

Could you implement a "cap ends" function for the Revolve and Rail Revolve tools as you've done for Loft and Sweep ?

And by the way, Michael, what about functions to enable some kind of symmetry modeling ??? Would be cool for extrusions and move functions sometimes...

MoI is really growing fast and in a brilliant manner. Probably the main reason why there are so many jewellers using it is because it is a true gem ! ;-))
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

One request that would be nice would be if you could toggle the active view to full screen with the spacebar. In other words if the Front view is active and you hit the spacebar then it would toggle Front View to full screen mode.

It would make it just a hair faster to switch screens in to full mode.

Thanks again for all of your work on this fantastic program!

Richard
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-59  60-79  80-99  100-119  …  140-157