Punch holes
 1-18  19-38  39-58  59-78  79-85

Previous
Next
2749.39 In reply to 2749.37 
Hi Pilou,

> Does it possible to have a script who make that?

Sorry, I don't understand.... What is it that you want the script to make?

If you want to move slices into different parallel locations, then yes, that's what the script that I just posted can be used for.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.40 In reply to 2749.36 
Hi Michael, superb this plugin!
What happens if I have the slices not all near the starting point and beneath the target point?
Let's say if I have a compressed target space? A space smaller them the space occupied by the unarranged slices?

(I'm thinking to put some mention to MOI, or at least at you, on my exhibit catalog)

Angelo
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.41 In reply to 2749.39 
< What is it that you want the script to make?
just about that ;)
curves ordered on a line as like your animation, because here you have 10 lines but if 500? :)
(like in a map of terrain levels)

EDITED: 6 Jul 2009 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.42 In reply to 2749.34 
Hi Grendel, thanks for this suggestion. I'm trying it right now. Perhaps I'll shave some slices before.

tx
Angelo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.43 In reply to 2749.38 
Hi Burr,

> Can the Isect command place a point where the wire enters and exits the solid?

Yup, the Isect command will generate points where a curve intersects with the surface skin of a solid, so for instance with this curve and solid:

If you select them both and run Construct / Curve / Isect, you will get these 2 points as the result:

> Can I automatically connect 2 points?

It would be possible to make a script that would do this, let me know if you want me to cook one up.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.44 In reply to 2749.38 
Well a quick test showed I could use the trim command and just remove everything but the inner piece of wire. Left with all my profile cuts or drill points.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.45 In reply to 2749.43 
>>>It would be possible to make a script that would do this, let me know if you want me to cook one up.

Well I have thought I wanted one of these but was trying to think how it would handle a multiple selection. If you think it could deal with something like I described faster than just using the line tool with end snaps, it may be very handy to start using points more as a construction tool.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.46 In reply to 2749.41 
Hi Pilou,

> curves ordered on a line as like your animation, because here you have
> 10 lines but if 500? :)
> (like in a map of terrain levels)

Yes, that's actually the entire purpose of that script, to make it easier to handle a large number of items such as 500 lines.

You just use the same process shown there, select one + right click and repeat.

That's what is nice about that script, it allows you to arrange items with only 2 clicks in the same area of the screen for placing each one, it's much much faster than moving the mouse around to snap on to the base and target point for each item...

As you can see from the screencap, it only takes about 1 second (maybe even less) to place each item with this script helping you, so placing 500 items would be roughly 500 seconds of work = roughly 8 minutes of work instead of much longer than that...

I don't think there is much possibility for a script to automatically determine which pieces are supposed to go to which slots without selecting them though, that would require some kind of advanced pattern recognition or artifical intelligence for the script to analyze the curves and try and understand which one was supposed to be the next in the sequence. Sometimes there may be kind of "islands" where there are more than 1 thing that should go to the same slot as well.

The script is not meant to make 500 curves instantly go into place with one single click, you still have guide the process with selection but the script will help speed things up quite a lot compared to doing all the manual transformation steps that would otherwise be required.

Pilou, you're just too lazy and don't want to do any work at all! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.47 In reply to 2749.45 
Hi Burr, yeah for just connecting 2 points just the line tool with 2 end snaps is already pretty quick for that.

An automated connection would start to become more useful if it was not just a "connect 2 lines" command on its own (which is pretty easy though, I can cook that up for you if you want, just let me know) but rather if it was some final step built into a batch operation.

But yeah the more difficult part is for the script to decide what to do with more than 2 points. Should it make a polyline? Should it try to group them into sets of 2 points that are closest to each other? That may be something that would be set up for a particular script targeting a specific situation (where it could make a better decision about what to do specifically) and probably not a very general purpose tool...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.48 In reply to 2749.46 
You right :)

We will always that the computer makes all the work :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.49 In reply to 2749.40 
Hi Angelo,

> What happens if I have the slices not all near the starting
> point and beneath the target point?

Well, it will be the same as if you used the "Move" command and used those 2 points as the base and target point for the Move.

Basically the distance between those 2 points is used as the distance to translate the curve.

> Let's say if I have a compressed target space? A space smaller them
> the space occupied by the unarranged slices?

Well, it's best if all the unarranged slices are on the same plane to start with, that makes it easy for the base point to be in that plane as well.

So that means all the unarranged slices would be at 0 distance between them already, so you can't get any smaller than that! :)

But you could adjust the points to have a different spacing in them, like do some scaling of different sections to compress or expand them. The script doesn't really care if the target points are evenly spaced or not, it just moves each slice to that furthest point location.

Please let me know if this doesn't make sense.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.50 In reply to 2749.40 
Hi Angelo, also one other note - if you have a series of planes and you want to compress them back into a single plane, you can do that by using the "flat" snap with the edit frame scaling grip from a side view like this:

Also if your planes are angled so you can't easily get to a side view you can also use Transform / Scale / Scale1D which will allow you to pick 2 points to define the flattening direction, then type in a scale factor of 0 to flatten in that direction.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.51 In reply to 2749.50 
About the plug seems that curves and points can be anywhere and selected in any order ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.52 In reply to 2749.51 
Hi Pilou,

> About the plug seems that curves and points can be
> anywhere and selected in any order ;)

Yes, that's true - but you will probably get hard to predict results with random placements.

The script is basically just a shortcut for doing a Transform/Move between the base point and target point.

Just as there are not any restrictions on where an object is located, or where the base or target points are in Transform/Move, there are similarly no limits for the script.

But to get the most expected behavior, you would probably want to have the curves stacked up in the same plane, and the base point located also in that same plane. That will make for a more predictable offset distance to be used for each one, just like Transform/Move can be easier to control if you snap the base point of a Transform/Move on to the object rather than way off in space somewhere.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.53 In reply to 2749.47 
I was trying to visualize a command that had a choice of polyline, curve throughpoint etc. with a "tolerance" setting. The tolerance being distance to next point to continue or stop, creating a chain. I have heard a few requests before for some kind of "connector" tool, so I know you have it in scope. I can get what I need now other ways.

Just poking around.

Thanks again.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.54 In reply to 2749.53 
Hi Burr, that kind of sounds like the Import point file command that Petr made:

http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#ImportPointFile

I think that lets you build either a polyline, control point curve, or interpolated curve from the points read in. But I think it uses the points in the sequence they are found in the file and won't try to organize a big random set of them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.55 In reply to 2749.54 
Well I created points for the file. (Much easier than trying the trim) I loaded the points save and load commands from petr. I had a question about its use if petr is looking in.

I was hoping that there was a tolerance setting that would help control the polyline creation. There is a "decimal places" setting and I am not sure how to use this or if it is intended for this result. Could you expound?

With regards to a connector script, the point cloud looks like this:

But from the top, it is this:

If I could connect only points that are .125 apart, the tolerance setting, then this would work.

I suppose it would have to apply to ANY other interest in connecting "points" or even "Segment ends". Kindof like the extend with a Limitation setting. (and also working on points).

Anyway, enough about this now from me. I will try trimming in smaller batches to get the result I am looking for.

Burr

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.56 In reply to 2749.55 
Hi Burr, I cooked up a plug-in command to handle that kind of tolerance based drawing of lines between selected points.

If you install and run the attached ConnectPoints command, it will let you select point objects, then prompt you for a tolerance value.

After you enter a tolerance, any of the points that are within that distance of one another will have a line generated between them.

That's not going to really work in all cases for doing a continuing chain of things (unless there is a very even spacing between the points), because there can be a kind of web of connections between points, but it should work for the kind of close together paired points like you have in this case.

- Michael

EDIT: updated ConnectPoints command to have a units designator on the tolerance field.

EDIT2: updated ConnectPoints command to remove selection from points that were not targeted for connection.

EDITED: 6 Jul 2009 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.57 In reply to 2749.56 
Thank you! I'll post back my results.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2749.58 In reply to 2749.57 
And Just to be sure, the tolerance setting is "distance"?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-18  19-38  39-58  59-78  79-85