sweep limitations

Next
Hi Michael,
currently it is not easy to create simple railings in moi, since the sweep tool does not work properly (or suffers from limitations) when the path has hard corners in it -
The image attached show the way it is done in Cinema4d, which is what I would expect.

Adding small radii fillets to the hard corners does not always work either, and trying to sweep the different segments separately and then joining them is also not a viable solutions as it is too tedious.
Is there someway of incorporating this kind of behaviour Moi ?
thanks,

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2742.2 In reply to 2742.1 
Hello,

I agree, it's way too much work to create this shape. I was able to do so but the 3rd turn in the rail was a real problem since I couldn't get the blend function to work on the 2 edges, probably since they crossed a seam. I even tried joining the 4 curve segments into two segments and then running the blend command but that didn't work either, it gives no result. I then tried joining the four edges to two, creating a tangent arc and doing a network command and that worked and I was able to create a solid but that part of the tube looked "off" for some reason, and I got some weird segments when looking at the mesh. It would be great if you didn't have to worry so much about these edge fragments and seams.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2742.3 In reply to 2742.2 
yes, plus imagine doing this for all the railings in a large scale building....
Hopefully Michael can find a good solution for this.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2742.4 In reply to 2742.3 
Using cylinders "without" caps, they are trimmed together then blend works for the 2 edges.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2742.5 In reply to 2742.1 
Hi okapi, yes I plan to do some work for mitered corners on sweep, it will probably be the last part of work that goes into v2.

At the moment to finish that shape you would need to do the sweep which will generate segments like this (here I removed the caps):

Then select each ending edge and extrude it with caps off, to produce an extension like this:

Then select both extensions:

And then do a mutual Trim - this is when you select both objects to be trimmed and when it asks you to select cutting objects, just right-click or push Done then to signal that each will be cut and also cut the other. Discard the extra pieces to get this:

Also you do a similar trim to the main pieces to discard their overlapping internal pieces, and then you can Join the results together.

That's how you can currently get a mitered corner, I do expect to update sweep to handle this automatically for you but that is not ready in the current version of MoI yet.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Yet another great tip for a troubleshooting Wiki!

I've always had probs accomplishing stuff like this as well - glad to hear this will be beefed up for v2! Definitely looking forward to this particular enhancement!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All