Ayam Can Import 3DM - Renderman
All  1  2-7

Previous
Next
274.2 In reply to 274.1 
> First, MOI is EXCELLENT! Thank you.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

> Second, I hope it don't cost hundreds of dollars when released like Rhino.

Well, if by "hundreds of dollars" you mean more than 100 dollars, then yes it will be more than that. But not a horrible amount more. The initial release will be significantly less expensive than Rhino, for a ballpark think of something around 1/4 the price of Rhino.

It should be pretty affordable, but I suppose it would still be out of range if you are really looking for something free or less than $100.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
274.3 In reply to 274.2 
This is really a good news...
I'm just discovered MoI and I have to say that it's awesome. Great work Mr. Gibson!
The existing tools are working already pretty well and it's fast, really fast and with an outstanding visualization.
Apart from what I hope to see before the final release (layers, backgroung images, a command history etc.), what i found incredibly usefull is the export with NGons, really a fantastic tool.
I think that the price point suggested by Mr. Gibson will be a grest deal for an application of this power and usability. It's already on my list...
Keep up the good work Mr. Gibson.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
274.4 In reply to 274.2 
>$100 : Expected that, hopefully not much more though. It's your project and work (income).
I still hope, as a hobbyist, to be able to afford it. You have done a wonderful job and deserve
payment for your effort, I would never dispute that. Good luck and thanks for the reply.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

I visited the link you sent and I got terrified! I didn't even try to download and install the software... SO MANY BUTTONS AND COMMANDS!
This kind of GUI has no future... I wouldn't even compare a modern app like MOI with this kind of software

Maybe this is a bit hard to say and maybe MOI will finally become a software with 300 buttons and commands but so far, this is my opinion.

EDITED: 3 Jan 2007 by JTB

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
274.6 In reply to 274.5 
> maybe MOI will finally become a software with 300 buttons
> and commands but so far, this is my opinion.

I've actually heard a lot of people worry about what will happen in the future, with regard to the UI getting more complex.

Eventually at some point way in the future, MoI might have 300 buttons. But the big thing is that they will not be all showing on the screen all at once!

In future versions when more stuff is added, they will show up as additional tabs in the side pane, but they will be collapsed by default. So you won't see all the buttons until you go activate the tab for that set of functionality.

MoI's UI was designed with this type of expansion in mind, so that future progress should not spoil it! :)

For example right now I count 75 buttons available over on the side pane, but because of the UI structure, these don't all whap you in the face all at once.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
274.7 In reply to 274.5 
Not comparing. I wouldn't use it for modelling, really. The point is this, it can import *.3dm files,
texture them, and render them, as a Renderman *.rib file. Moi, modelling; Ayam, rendering.
If renderman interests you, then Ayam might as well. If renderman doesn't, then it won't.
The GUI designed in TCL/TK, i have never liked it's apperearance. But, it's creator does work
on it. I hardly mess with the buttons and it's not that hard to figure it all out. Blender has a
complex interface, with plenty of features. I don't truly like it's GUI but I do use it because i like
getting to the end product, which is the rendering.
MOI is an excellent and focussed modeller, which i truly appreciate. I use Silo a lot and like the
1.42 version, but, dislike the 2.0 because it is adding features i don't need into it. Zbrush already
does much of where it's going. I like a simple and focused interface, which you are right, Ayam is
not. However, if you want to prettify and render you're grey geometry, on the cheap, this is a path.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-7