Bug :: object properties panel
All  1  2-6

Previous
Next
2729.2 In reply to 2729.1 
Hi Petr,

> 1) The object style and size properties entry
> overlap if there is no name of style.

Thanks for reporting this, I've got it fixed up for the next beta.

> 2) Relative adjustment using negative value (e.g. -1)
> seems not to work.

Yes, unfortunately you have to use a double minus (like --1) to do a negative relative adjustment.

That's because the relative adjustment works in a general way on any numeric input field, including ones that can take negative values. If it made a relative adjustment by entering in something like -1, then that would interfere with the ability to input a negative number in some places where that is possible.

For example, draw a rectangle and enter in 5 for the width.

Now you can go to the width again and enter --1 to make a relative adjustment or you can enter in -1 which is a valid number of its own to have there.

It's also allowed to use ++ for a relative addition if that helps to remember the syntax.

> By the way, is there any reason why the numeric input
> flyouts doesn't pop up when clicking on a numeric field
> in the properties panel to edit the size.

Well, there's a few things for that.

First, it just felt like that would be used by people using typed in values a lot...

Also those controls are customized to have some special properties on them, like being able to use variables like x or z (any of x, y, z, l, h, r, d) in expressions, so that required a custom control which was easiest to set up as just a type-in only one.

Also since that panel is pretty small it kind of seemed a bit odd to have the flyout come out of there.

Those fields are also modified to have an extra number of decimal points precision displayed in them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2729.3 In reply to 2729.2 
Michael, when you update the manual for v2, please remember to put all these kinds of tidbits in there!

There's so many intricate details within MoI that fear I'll forget a lot of these power techniques!
(Not to mention half I don't know! :-O )

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2729.4 In reply to 2729.2 
Hi Michael, thanks for explaining it.

>> Yes, unfortunately you have to use a double minus
Unfortunately? I don't think so. Just good to know how to use it :) -Petr

EDIT: Just another one of the findings... there is "Edit object name" dialog window and not flyout menu like for other items in the properties panel...

EDITED: 26 Jun 2009 by TYGLIK

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2729.5 In reply to 2729.3 
Hi Will, yup when I make a pass through the manual at the end of v2 here, I will be putting in all the information on the new functions like this.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2729.6 In reply to 2729.4 
Hi Petr,

> Unfortunately? I don't think so. Just good to know
> how to use it :) -Petr

Well, unfortunate in the sense that it can be pretty easily interpreted to be a bug.. :)

The other possible thing to do for that would be to go through and mark every single numeric input for whether it was able to take negative numbers or not, and then it would be possible to use that single minus sign syntax for relative adjustment on the fields that only took positive numbers.

The thing I don't like about that is having different syntax work for different fields, in some sense it is more simple to have only one syntax that works in all situations.

> EDIT: Just another one of the findings... there is "Edit object
> name" dialog window and not flyout menu like for other items
> in the properties panel...

Yup, that's because I made a kind of general purpose "edit the name of something" dialog which may be useful to be re-used in other situations in the future where something needs to let you edit a name label.

A dialog is a little more generally re-usable than a flyout since a flyout doesn't necessarily fit with some things like a multi-stage script.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-6