Boolean Madness
All  1-14  15-16

Previous
Next
2728.15 In reply to 2728.14 
Hi, thanks for the explanation - yes, I've run across situations like that and deleting the extra point(s) is usually good enough.

When you put in the object type display (solid, surface, curve etc.,) it gave me a much higher level of confidence when working on my various objects. I knew if I didn't see "Solid", I knew there was a hole in my object somewhere that would cause me problems later.

Little segments like that makes me wish there was a diagnostic tool or a way to highlight little slivers or perhaps have a tolerance that could be set that would avoid adding segments below a certain length to help avoid issues that crop up from things like this.

I guess you really have to be diligent and can't just eye your models like you mentioned.

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
2728.16 In reply to 2728.15 
Hi Will, yup I have some plans for adding in some other various kinds of diagnostic/analysis tools in the future.

> When you put in the object type display (solid, surface,
> curve etc.,) it gave me a much higher level of confidence
> when working on my various objects. I knew if I didn't see
> "Solid", I knew there was a hole in my object somewhere
> that would cause me problems later.

Yup, that's basically one type of "always on" diagnostic tool right there, really.

It's definitely a great habit to check that thing to see if you've got what you expected (like is it a closed curve, or a solid, or not).

> or perhaps have a tolerance that could be set that
> would avoid adding segments below a certain length
> to help avoid issues that crop up from things like this.

Unfortunately this part would be pretty difficult to handle when things are being intersected with one another.

If the proper result of the intersection would mean little bits are formed, it is hard to think about how to avoid that without doing something like leaving holes in those areas...

But yeah when you're going to hang various further steps off of an initial curve structure, nothing really beats having those initial curves being formed well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-14  15-16