Closed Curve Extrude Error?

Next
The bottom closed curve in the attached file will not extrude properly, leaving a gap at the top. The curve above it extruded OK.

The bottom curve is the same as the top, except I added a point on the top to add a slight curvature.

This is the latest V2 beta. Did not try it on an earlier version.

Ed

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Update: The resulting solid looks fine in my render program, so the geometry is good. The gap must be an issue with the MoI display.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2727.3 In reply to 2727.1 
Hi Ed, thanks for the bug report.

It looks like the problem you are seeing there is actually just a display artifact, the geometry itself appears to be fine.

Please check out this recent post that talks about how the display works with a triangle approximation being created to produce the shaded display:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2725.4

The case you have here just did not get enough triangles produced in it to make a nice looking result. Your actual model geometry is all proper though.

It can be tough for the mesher to pick up on things that are long and only very shallowly curved like you've got here.

Are you going to export this to a polygon mesh file?

If so then you may need to adjust one additional parameter when doing so, since the curvature is very shallow the regular angle metric won't really dice up that shallow area, so you may need to enter in a value in the "Divide larger than" option in order to dice long areas up into smaller pieces. For example putting in a value of 2 for "Divide larger than" will produce a good result on your particular shape there.

In the future I would like to adjust some things to get a bit better polygons out automatically in this kind of "long but only shallowly curved" type shape situation.

But for now, you just ignore it if you see it in the viewport, and use "Divide larger than" to get rid of it at export time.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2727.4 In reply to 2727.3 
Thanks Michael. I've seen small gaps before in complex shapes but this one threw me because it's simple and the small radius corners filled in nicely.

BTW - Ver 2 is a pleasure to use!

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
As soon as I added a small 0.2 fillet to the extrusion ( the solid on the bottom that is displayed with a gap), the entire object filled in and displayed properly. So, it looks like some special rules are needed as you stated.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All