Wavefront OBJ export/import into Kerkythea

Next
Hi Michael G.,

When I export a .obj from the latest MoI beta June), and import it into Kerkythea, all the objects are grouped as one object instead of individual objects and I cannot ungroup them in Kerkythea. I open the same 3dm file in the previous beta(April) and export it as a .obj and it opens in Kerkythea as individual objects.

Is there something I need to turn off/on?

If this has been answered somewhere else, let me know.

Thanks,

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/fish317537
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2713.2 In reply to 2713.1 
Hi Michael T - could you please post an example 3DM file so I could check it out?

Have you possibly set the object name in MoI of all those objects to have all the same name?

If so, then that is a new feature in the latest beta, that it will combine mesh objects that all have the same exact object name assigned to them.

But also there is another possibility, which is that with the new beta MoI also now exports style assignments to the OBJ file as material assignments. If Kerkythea is using material assignments to identify different objects, then that would be caused by this change, and you would currently fix it by assigning different styles to objects that you wanted to have different render materials applied to them.

If you could post a small example file it would help to narrow down which of these possible things is happening in your particular case.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2713.3 In reply to 2713.2 
Yes, it exports OBJ objects by style! I just checked it out. Much more manageable.

Thanks again Michael G.! and keep up the great work!

Michael T.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2713.4 In reply to 2713.3 
Hi Michael T, yes so then the idea is that with the last beta you can set up styles in MoI however you want to have materials work in Kerkythea.

So for example, if you want 5 different objects to all render with the same appearance in Kerkythea, you can assign those 5 to all have a particular style, then they will be ready to be used in Kerkythea without needing to do extra organizing work on them inside of there.

But if you have not assigned any styles to your objects, they will all have Style=Default and then all have the same appearance in Kerkythea.

This should be generally easier to manage, but maybe I had better include some option to make it possible to still get the old export behavior.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2713.5 In reply to 2713.4 
Hi Michael G.,

Yes it is more manageable. It also exports the style color to the objects imported into Kerkythea. Very Cool.

Michael T.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All