Extending solids

Next
I did a manual and forum search on changing (increasing x, y and/or z) solids and found nothing.

I have a door stile (side) solid that is mitered at its upper end and I want to square it off and extend its length without effecting the bottom of the stile. If this is possible, how do you do it?

Thanks,

Leonard
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2707.2 In reply to 2707.1 
Hi Leonard, it's a little bit hard to tell what your model is just from a text description, if you could please post a file attachment with your actual model in it that would help to clarify it a lot.

But from what I can tell from your description, you will probably need to do a boolean operation to cut your solid into 3 different pieces, then move the outer pieces to relocate them and scale the inner piece to fill up the gap, then union the parts back together again.

Please see this previous post for a demonstration:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2019.3

Does that handle what you need?

In the future I would like to have a kind of "stretch" function that would handle this more easily, but that technique above is the way you can accomplish it currently.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

Despite my poor description you nailed it.

In the attached pic, the upper horizontal (top rail) and the vertical parts (stiles) of the doors have a diagonal joint (miter joint) where they meet that is wrong. These parts should be detailed like the bottom of the doors (a butt joint sort of).

Using your method necessitates a fair amount of work to all the stiles and both top rails. Rebuilding those parts would probably be faster. The stretch function will be warmly welcomed.

The lesson I learned? Simplify.

Thanks again for the prompt help.

L.

Edit: I just checked out the demonstration you linked and am a bit concerned with this: "... if you expect to need to make these kinds of edits on a regular basis, it is quite possible that MoI is just not really the right software for you..." Ack! Sound advice, no doubt, but I prefer keeping Moi and waiting patiently for a stretch function. -L.

Edit2: Your suggestion is quite good, Michael. Duplicate the four verticals simultaneously, cut a section from all four simultaneously, square the ends of parts to remain, align the patches, union everything and boole the verticals down to taste. Ditto the top rails. That would be workable. -L.

EDITED: 22 Jun 2009 by NYCL45

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous

Easy.

Fast.