Browser (looking good)

Next

also I wish I could apply styles on surfaces etc.

EDITED: 22 Oct 2010 by NEO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2705.2 In reply to 2705.1 
Hi Neo, thanks for the feedback on styles, I'm glad you like the improvements!

You wrote:
> +- symbol it as necessary on the previous version (left) but
> not anymore, the tab alone is self-explanatory.

I think it still actually helps to have this, especially for the inline mode so that the sections do not have an identical look to their parent palette header.

Also with the new arrow on Styles, it is good to have the +/- symbol which highlights when you move your mouse back and forth between the arrow and the header, since the +/- lights up when it would be activated it gives you a better kind of preview of what is going to happen when you click.

> I often need to expand the browser, not having to go in the
> options menu would be much appreciated.

It's actually possible to set up a keyboard shortcut for switching between the "inside" and "adjacent" modes, so that you could trigger that switch without going to the full Options dialog.

To do that, go to Options / Shortcut keys, and add in a new one with a key of your choice, and for the command part paste in the following:

script: /* Toggle between adjacent and inline browser modes */ moi.ui.browserPosition = (moi.ui.browserPosition == 'Inside' ? 'Adjacent' : 'Inside');

Then when you push that key, it will switch between those modes for you, which should help if you want to rapidly switch between those modes for some reason.

> also I wish I could apply styles on surfaces etc

Actually you can do this already - if you select a face you can apply a style to it, and it will be set up - it will come through as a material assignment at export time, and you can use it for hide/show in the browser, etc...

The only thing that does not happen currently is that the surface itself will not shade in the style color, but I am going to be working on that part.

But the part about being able to assign a style to a surface is working currently.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2705.3 In reply to 2705.2 
a bug... I did come across it after running the script above...is still there after deleting the script. It happens when you switch browser modes.

>I think it still actually helps to have this, especially for the inline mode so that the sections do not have an identical look to their parent palette header.
>Also with the new arrow on Styles, it is good to have the +/- symbol which highlights when you move your mouse back and forth between the arrow and the header, since the +/- lights up when it would be >activated it gives you a better kind of preview of what is going to happen when you click.

Funny enough these are exactly the reasons why I think you should keep your original Tabs design across the hole system. especially now with the new arrow on Styles it makes more sense..."Less is more"

>The only thing that does not happen currently is that the surface itself will not shade in the style color, but I am going to be working on that part.

That's what I meant, great to know is coming.

And last but not least, you did not reply on my comment about the scroll bar... I understand it may take some work to override the standard windows, dialogue box, color picker etc. BUT This was my first gripe with MoI, it has this wonderful UI and is let down by the bog standard OS colour picker etc.

EDITED: 22 Oct 2010 by NEO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2705.4 In reply to 2705.3 
Hi Neo, I'll take a look at the bug shortly - that likely does not have anything to do with the script though, the same thing should happen when using the regular Options method to switch as well. It looks like the bug is triggered when switching and having the inline browser be collapsed.

I seem to remember putting in something to prevent updates to the inline browser when it is collapsed as a performance enhancement. Something is probably not going right for that part.

> And last but not least, you did not reply on my comment
> about the scroll bar...

Well, the modified version you show there looks nice with your special customized theme, but it would look weird on the standard version.

For the standard version, the current regular scrollbar seems to be fine as far as I can tell.

If you would like to alter the scroll bar colors to match your customized theme, that is possible by setting some properties in CSS. Go to moi.css and add in this at the bottom:

body
{
    scrollbar-base-color:gray;
}

Also you can set colors of individual elements by setting these properties:
scrollbar-arrow-color:
scrollbar-3dlight-color:
scrollbar-arrow-color:
scrollbar-darkshadow-color:
scrollbar-face-color:
scrollbar-highlight-color:
scrollbar-shadow-color:
scrollbar-track-color:

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa358814(VS.85).aspx for more description on what each of those colors targets.

re: Colorpicker - I definitely do want to make a better colorpicker dialog in the future. At the moment, tweaking colors is just not a major priority yet since I don't have things like a renderer built into MoI currently.

It would certainly be cool if all aspects of MoI could have been customized all at the same time and all be finished with the absolute most polished UI for every single detail such as the color picker.... Unfortunately I'm limited to only 24 hours in a single day and these things take time.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2705.5 In reply to 2705.4 
I'm sure it with all come together nicely in time.

thanks for your suggestions and great support.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2705.6 In reply to 2705.3 
Hi neo,

> a bug... I did come across it after running the script
> above...is still there after deleting the script. It happens
> when you switch browser modes.

Thanks for reporting this bug!

I've now got it fixed for the next release.

The bug was in switching between the scene browser modes, it didn't matter whether it was that shortcut key script, the Options dialog UI being used for the switch.

One workaround for the moment in the current beta is if your named objects section has gotten stuck due to this bug when flipping between the modes, set any object to have a previously unused name. It doesn't matter what the new name is, just as long as it is unique, that will cause the named objects section to get unstuck and work again.

The types and style sections were not affected by the bug.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2705.7 In reply to 2705.6 
Hi neo, this switching between scene browser modes is also fixed in the updated 6-23 beta that I just put out as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2705.8 In reply to 2705.7 
Sweet that's great.

EDITED: 26 Jun 2009 by NEO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2705.9 In reply to 2705.8 
Browser
When I name a selection of curves
then "Scale copy" it
result has the same name and not "unnamed" wished
Is that normal?

EDITED: 4 Jul 2009 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2705.10 In reply to 2705.9 
Hi Pilou, yes currently that is intentional that the object name is also copied. It's treated the same as any other property of the object such as the object's style.

This seems to be common behavior, for example I tried some other apps like Rhino and Cinema4D which behave the same way.

If the object name was not copied when an object was duplicated, there could be some bad consequences, like for example if you use Ctrl+C to copy the object to the clipboard, and then use Ctrl+V to paste the object into a different modeling session, it would not be good for the name property to be lost during that transfer of the object data.

Other duplication functions (such as copy option on scale) are intended to be generally similar in behavior as Copy/Paste - I think it could be confusing if one kind of duplication preserved the name property but other kinds of duplication did not.

Do you see any advantage to having the copied object's name be empty / "unnamed" ?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2705.11 In reply to 2705.10 
When you copy a big selection of numerous objects maybe you want give a different name
Say a table + chairs so set1, when copying copy maybe become set2?
But I have no idea how the browser uses nesting names : so here set1 = table1 + chairs6 (chair)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2705.12 In reply to 2705.11 
Hi Pilou,

> When you copy a big selection of numerous objects
> maybe you want give a different name

But how does having the copied objects set as "unnamed" help you to do that?

If you want to give a copied set of objects a new name, try the following sequence:

Select your objects.

Use Ctrl+C to copy to the clipboard.

Use Ctrl+V to paste which will create a duplicate set of objects. Part of the paste command is that the newly pasted in objects will become the only selection.

Now since your duplicated objects are selected, assign whatever new name you wish to them, and you can also drag or use a Transform command to move them to a different location.

Also for other situations you may find the keyboard shortcut script here to be of use:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#SelectLastCommandCreated

If you set that on a keyboard shortcut, that will select whatever was created by the last command. So for example if you want to change the result from the Scale command with copy option, after you create the scaled copy deselect objects and use that keyboard shortcut to select all the newly created ones and then you can assign a new name to them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2705.13 In reply to 2705.12 
With this last plug yes that can be easy!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All