seperate a seam edge

Next
Is there a way that seperates the seam edge that have points pull it apart?

SO if you have a cylinder and seperate it, the 2 circles seperate out and you have essentially a rolled up peice of paper. Does that ever seperate with cutting the surface with something else?

So in the pick I trimmed the surface with another surface, to get what I want, but cant get the seam edge to seperate.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2702.2 In reply to 2702.1 
Hi Burr, there is no way to separate the seam using control point editing, because the control point editor is built to keep the seam intact.

Otherwise if it did not do that, it would not really be possible to use control point editing to sculpt a smooth object like in this example:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1514.1

But yeah if you cut the surface so that your object is made up of 2 surfaces rather than one single closed surface, then you can get what you want, it looks like that is what you used for your example?

If you want to only have one single surface, then an alternate way to go would be to make 2 curves, and do a loft between them like this:

You have to position the closed curve so that the seam of the closed curve is in a good location for that, it will not do an automatic adjustement of the seam location for this kind of case.

Does that do what you need?

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2702.3 In reply to 2702.2 
Yeah thats good. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing somthing.

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2702.4 In reply to 2702.3 
Hi Burr, also to maybe get more control (since it is not so easy to know where the seam point of a closed curve is), you might want to have the bottom curve slightly open instead of a fully closed one, then after the Loft you can move the bottom points together.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2702.5 In reply to 2702.3 
Hi Burr & Michael G.,

Burr, I took your file, extracted the the edges and joined them. I then put a point at one end of each curve, used array curve tool and added 21 points and then deleted the joined curves. I then used the curve through points tool to generate new curves through the points to generate new seamless curves. I then used the loft command to generate the new surface. Hope any of this helps.

Michael T.

Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/fish317537

EDITED: 4 Nov 2010 by MICTU_UTCIM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2702.6 In reply to 2702.1 
Hi Burr,

The only problem I see with this is, how are you going to unwrap the cylinder accurately.
When you try and move the points defining the edge, you can stretch the surface to as long as you want.

What are you trying to achieve ? Just curious :)

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2702.7 In reply to 2702.6 
Hi Danny,
I've been fooling around with point editing on primitives. I wanted to be able to do a bit of stretching of things and then be able to open up the seam and then use the blend tool. :O If I could open that edge by pulling a couple points, then use blend to re-close it, would be easier/faster than trying to make the cut in the surface myself. (also since the seam is a famous stickler point, utilizing it this way would be beneficial)

It just isnt the type of entity I thought it was.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All