Flyout

Next
The style tools flyout is a cool way to do that. Cant wait to dig in and find all the goodies! :O
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2699.2 In reply to 2699.1 
Hi Burr,

> The style tools flyout is a cool way to do that.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! :)

I'd been thinking about how to handle that for quite a while... Originally I was going to have some buttons hanging out right directly inside the scene browser for those things but every time I tried that it seemed pretty weird, and kind of cluttered things up.

Having those tools actions on a flyout helps to keep the browser more streamlined.

> Cant wait to dig in and find all the goodies!

It's going to take me a bit to gather my notes up, I've got 120 checkins to review.

Some various things though are: Styles written out as materials to OBJ and LWO formats, Lock (ctrl+click to lock in the browser), Isolate (right-click on hide), cap ends option for curve offset, Performance improvement when doing a transform on a large number of curves, extended "selection undo" to also work on hide and also for scene browser actions, new "Align to surface" option for array curve when the curve is projected on to a surface, quite a bunch of stuff for styles - undo works for style stuff like assigning or editing styles, a bunch of tune-ups to get more expected behavior for how styles are assigned to objects, styles transfer to and from IGES files, and quite a bunch of bug fixes.

I'll get a more proper full list of stuff here in a bit though...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2699.3 In reply to 2699.2 
Whoa!!! The OBJ export is Banner. So much for the "seperateobj.exe utility" (I'll have a small funeral for it later tonight)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2699.4 In reply to 2699.3 
Hi Burr, yup there's no need for that SeparateOBJ.exe utility anymore, it's basically built in now and controlled using styles. You assign styles however you want to apply your materials and when you export to OBJ or LWO formats, those style assignments will be part of the export now.

A lot of people have been waiting for this one, I've been kind of gathering the pieces together to make this possible for some time so it is nice for it to finally be here.

Also another new thing is object names are used now for OBJ or LWO formats as well, so if you are exporting to a program that has a named object scene browser type thing, your names assigned in MoI will now go through to there.

Also it is possible to control how meshes are combined together by assigning the same name to several objects in MoI. All objects of the same name will combine together into a single labeled mesh object with that name. So for example if someone is exporting to Modo and they want to control their Mesh layer structure in addition to surface assignments, that is now possible. This basically controls what the MergeOBJ.exe utility was doing.

So actually both those utilities are now built in.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2699.5 In reply to 2699.4 
I did some very simple tests with Carrara and Hypershot. I only used the styles and it was very nice. I didnt try "names" but that is good news. I know Carrara uses the "mesh grouping" you mentioned on import and this will eliminate all the extra "re-structuring" that was required. Modo must be the same.

Seems bugless as usual. May postpone the seperateobj funeral to visit with my new friend obj export.

I'll look forward to the release notes.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2699.6 In reply to 2699.5 
Hi Burr,

> I didnt try "names" but that is good news. I know
> Carrara uses the "mesh grouping" you mentioned on
> import and this will eliminate all the extra "re-structuring"
> that was required.

Yeah, if you are focused on just wanting render materials set up you probably won't need to mess with naming things. That's just if you want to control the object structure.

Previously you would only get automatically generated names in the OBJ export like "object1", "object2", etc... which you will still get on things where you did not set the name, but now there is a way to control that by setting the name in MoI if you want.

> Seems bugless as usual.

Great! :) So far so good anyway... Please let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary.

It looks like I won't have the notes ready until tomorrow sometime.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All